How do I get started

6 Replies

Hey everyone hope you all are having a blessed day I’m 17 turning 18 class of 2003. I was just wondering how do I get started in this business, I’m learning things on my own but I feel like getting information from people who been doing it for a long time might help me out a lot. Lol I’m a broke teenager trying to achieve financial freedom to take care of the people I love.

Hi Joa.  Great seeing young people like yourself interested in real estate.

First thing I would do is read books (BP has so many good books - https://store.biggerpockets.co... is a good one to get started) and the next thing I would do is listen to podcasts.  These 2 things can definitely get your blood pumping and excited.  From there, find out if your area has a local meetup and start attending and possibly seek out a mentor.  Best of luck! 

Hey @Joa Dittey

Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/..

@Joa Dittey if you want to find a way to get into the game and assist someone who you can learn from, never describe yourself as a broke teenager. Identify what skills you have right now that could assist someone in real estate. It could be driving or walking for dollars, permit picks, go-fer stuff. Attend online REI meetups and just learn. Too many younger kids are trying to get rich quick in real estate and think wholesaling will be it or there is a way to do it, but it comes from building relationships and seeing where your personality and skills could be an asset to someone else who, in turn, would provide some education.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you