Looking for Area's for a House Hack

Looking for Area's for a House Hack

Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes

Hello All,

I recently got a new job located in the Irvine area, but I currently live in North East Los Angeles. Because of this I'm looking to move closer towards my work in the summer to fall of 2021. Sept 2021 is my goal to move.

I'm currently looking for area's to house hack a duplex, triplex, or fourplex in the Long Beach and somewhat surrounding areas (but mainly long beach due to main street and location between OC and LA.) Any idea on area's to look into would be great and any other general information! Thanks so much! 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
5y

I love Long   each for that specific reason (being between OC and LA).

Here is a couple listings that will get you started on the areas where to look and where the zoning allows for small multi family:

On the high price side, Los Cerritos:

3530 Locust Ave Long Beach, CA 90807
3718 Country Club Dr Long Beach, CA 90807

On the more affordable side Circle area and Alamitos Heights area: good because close to cal state Long Beach 

1206 Belmont Ave Long Beach, CA 90804
817 Mira Mar Ave Long Beach, CA 90804

You might also wanna consider Signal Hill. Small city surrounded by LBC. SH has a zoning that’s good for house hacking but can get too dense in my opinion.

Both SH a d LBC are difficult to cash-flow. But they can be very good for house hacking.

Make sure you avoid certain areas though.

I used a very knowledgeable realtor in Long Beach Jose Smith (562) 209-0990

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I love Long   each for that specific reason (being between OC and LA).

    Here is a couple listings that will get you started on the areas where to look and where the zoning allows for small multi family:

    On the high price side, Los Cerritos:

    3530 Locust Ave Long Beach, CA 90807
    3718 Country Club Dr Long Beach, CA 90807

    On the more affordable side Circle area and Alamitos Heights area: good because close to cal state Long Beach 

    1206 Belmont Ave Long Beach, CA 90804
    817 Mira Mar Ave Long Beach, CA 90804

    You might also wanna consider Signal Hill. Small city surrounded by LBC. SH has a zoning that’s good for house hacking but can get too dense in my opinion.

    Both SH a d LBC are difficult to cash-flow. But they can be very good for house hacking.

    Make sure you avoid certain areas though.

    I used a very knowledgeable realtor in Long Beach Jose Smith (562) 209-0990

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 189 votes
    5y

    Long Beach is awesome @Jonathan K. The rent and density is there and they're pretty friendly to ADU's which is a great way to increase your rental income potential.

    Why not consider NELA if that's where you'll be? Highland Park and Eagle Rock are great areas.

  • Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Jason Hsiao Thanks for that insight and ADU's are a great way to increase value.

    And originally I was planning into looking into those 2 specific areas, but 1.) They're already pretty far along gentrification wise and pricing is a bit high for my budget 2.) The rent control rules are something I was nervous about. Also mentioned in the post above my new work office will be in Irvine so I'm looking for areas closer in that direction for my first house hack. NELA is 1hr to 1.5hr away and that commute is not worth it. 

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jonathan K.! Long Beach definitely a great place to house hack with the many different property types here! How has your search comin along? Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have or if you need help finding something :) 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2019 · 253 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan K. Have you considered San Pedro? Similar to LB it has a good mix of single families and 2-4 units, so there’s a good amount of inventory to look at. It’s just across the bridge from LB and has a more small town community feel. Lots of potential here with development and money coming in. Most is part of LA rent control but that’s the game we have to play, but there are ways to get around it as an owner occupant - I’d be happy to chat about it if youd like.

  • Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Buchanan search has been pretty tough!! Duplex’s are slightly out of price range, been looking at condos but don’t know if that’s the smartest move

  • Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Dan Portka yes have considered it but not much else haven’t looked into the area too much

  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Buchanan Hi Jennifer, have you found there to be properties that hit the market that the BRRRR strategy might work with in the Long Beach area? I'm also starting my search for deals to get a general feel for the market. I'm between either house hacking or BRRRR'ing to get started. Would love to hear your thoughts.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Dan Portka I’ll love to hear about it

  • Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dan Portka:

    Lots of potential here with development and money coming in.

    May I ask what indicators do you look at that shows you there's ton of development money coming in? I want to invest in a home in a city with beach city weather that also has the most potential for gains due to gentrification in the next 10 years. Right now I'm thinking that city is most likely Long Beach. But if you have ideas that other cities might be better I'm interested in your insights.

    (Disclosure: I'm only beginning to think about this, so this might be a 1-2 year process don't want to mislead anyone).

  • Real Estate Agent · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2019 · 253 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    @David Stuart 

    something like 700 new homes are currently being built at the north end of SP in a master planned LA community. many will sell for for $1.5M+  https://www.drhorton.com/calif...

    Most notable development which will turn SP more into a destination for people coming from outside the city - check out what they're doing to the LA Waterfront https://www.lawaterfront.org/i...

    Lots of other development shared on urbanize: https://urbanize.city/la/neigh...

  • Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hey Jonathan!

    Long Beach really does have it all!  It is definitely an up and coming market with so many opportunities to house hack! Specific neighborhoods like Rose Park, Poly High, and Willmore (to name a few) have a multitude of 2-4 units that could potentially give you some elements of return almost immediately. Its proximity between LA and OC is prime! If you're ever curious about the many reason why investing in Long Beach is the right move, feel free to reach out! I've lived in the LBC my whole life, and now I'm proud to be working in this city, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have! 

  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan K. Vallejo is still affordable for a house hack and for investment properties.

  • Realtor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Long Beach has so many great opportunities especially for a live in house hack as a duplex or ADU property. The key to success is a great lender & agent to make it happen! Lots of patience, and a clear goal. I'm a local realtor in LB and happy to assist you with the search to match your goals.

    Not sure if you’ve found a place yet? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.