Rental Property Management Groups in Oakland?

7 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of closing on a 4-plex in Oakland, CA and will be inheriting a couple of long term tenants.  Only one of the tenants is on a current lease and two of the tenants are long term inhabitants.  The previous owner doesn't appear to be very involved so I'm trying to understand what my next steps should be.  

I'm currently reading my way through BiggerPocket's book on property management but I'm wondering if there are existing groups that meet locally to share best practices and discuss CA/Oakland Landlord-Tenant laws?  I'm not interested in discussing owner move-in evictions as I know that is hot topic on this thread.  I want to be respectful to my existing tenants but I do want to ensure that I protect my investment.  I would love to meet with like minded people who have rental management experience in Oakland.  

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hello Matt

I been doing some research on rent control in Oakland and it is pretty tough. One of the rules that stood out to me are. 1. You can no evict someone if they are ill or sick for any reason. 2. You cannot evict anyone older then 60 I believe.

If they lived there longer than 10 years. The rent control is getting tougher in Oakland and are only going to get worst. Just hope that you got a good deal on the property and are cash-flowing with the long term tenants. It might be hard to get new ones and raise rent. Good luck to you.

I don't know of any such groups personally, but out of curiosity what are you going to learn?

Updated over 1 year ago

Meant to say "what are you hoping to learn?"

Originally posted by @Matt S. :

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of closing on a 4-plex in Oakland, CA and will be inheriting a couple of long term tenants.  Only one of the tenants is on a current lease and two of the tenants are long term inhabitants.  The previous owner doesn't appear to be very involved so I'm trying to understand what my next steps should be.  

I'm currently reading my way through BiggerPocket's book on property management but I'm wondering if there are existing groups that meet locally to share best practices and discuss CA/Oakland Landlord-Tenant laws?  I'm not interested in discussing owner move-in evictions as I know that is hot topic on this thread.  I want to be respectful to my existing tenants but I do want to ensure that I protect my investment.  I would love to meet with like minded people who have rental management experience in Oakland.  

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Matt,

The best group is the East Bay Rental Housing Association - it's made up of East Bay landlords. Most of their members are Oakland landlords. Costs roughly $250/year to be a member.

Sorry I have no help with the title question, but if you haven't already, get each and every tenant and previous landlord to sign estoppel certificates. You want to start from a very well defined and known base (original lease is useful but IMHO is not sufficient).

Also you will want a history of rents in case there is some banking available and current owner's mortgage info may be useful.

Originally posted by @Saj S. :
Originally posted by @Matt S.:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Matt,

The best group is the East Bay Rental Housing Association - it's made up of East Bay landlords. Most of their members are Oakland landlords. Costs roughly $250/year to be a member.

Thanks Saj Shah, this is one of the things I was looking for.  

@Kathryn M, this is one of the items I wanted to get additional information.  I know there are standard forms for California but I was wondering if these need to completed within a certain amount of time?  Are there specific questions/ areas I should strictly avoid?  I have reason to believe that two of the units are occupied by more people than are stated on the lease.

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on your purchase it sounds like you are closing / closed on.

Pretty much the only reason you can evict here in Oakland in a rent control property (newer property is exempt from these rules) is for non-payment of rent.  It is a process even when it comes to that.

For your leasing, I would strongly encourage you to get everyone that is living there listed on the lease.  Have the people on the lease come in with the people not and have the other roommates added.  Now you have established the "original tenants" and those original tenants are the ones on rent-control.  If original tenants move out, now you can bring the unit to market rent with appropriate notice.

Join the East Bay Rental Housing Association like Saj Shah said.  They will be a resource and sometimes offer some classes etc. to help you with navigating the rules.

Get legal advice for the owner move-in.  It can be done, but you will want to do it properly.

Kathryn M's advice on making sure you have records to be able to use banked increases if they haven't been taken is also important.

Good luck!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.