• Denver, CO
Votes |
Newbie from Denver, Colorado

Rick Watt
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Oct 13 2017, 16:14

Hi, my name is Rick Watt and I live in Southeast Metro Denver.  I currently work full time selling IT hardware/software to the Navy and Marines and spend nearly every week on a plane.  I like my job and make good money but it's hard being away from the family as much as I am, so I've decided to find my exit strategy (not anytime soon as I'll continue to work while I build my investments).  I owned a painting business for nine years that I just sold, so in exploring my next business venture I came across Bigger Pockets and really like what I've seen so far.

I do have prior experience as a Realtor (very short-lived career) and also spent a couple of years in the Mortgage business working for a Sales Rep for Wholesale Lender right up until the Mortgage bust in 2007.  (Yes, I was part of the problem selling sub-prime loans).

Real Estate Investing definitely interests me and my prior skills are a good fit so I've decided to give this a try.

I've attend a Bigger Pockets Webinar and have listened to several Podcasts. I believe the best place to for me to start is Buy and Hold (SFR and/or 2-4 Unit Multi). I feel like with the information I've found so far, and the resources I'll continue to use on this site, I've got a good grasp of what I need to start doing, although I know I have a ton to learn and don't know what I don't know yet.

I guess the only questions I would ask any of you in Denver is, is it really tough to find a good buy for a newbie like me?  I've heard it's a pretty tough market.  I do have the ability to be in almost any state relatively easily, so would it make more sense to try and find something in a hotter market even if it is out of state?  Or am I opening myself up to too many complications before I even know what I'm doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

Loading replies...