Window Installment

6 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for reasonable and quality window installers and window suppliers. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Mitch

Is it truly necessary for you to replace the window or does just the glass need to be replaced. Do understand windows have the longest financial payback.

@Mitchlyn Davis  

First you need to decide if you want to DIY or hire a contractor for the installation. This is a project that requires a city permit FYI, but if you are installing windows on a house you live in, you can pull the permit yourself.

My husband and I replaced all the windows on the house we live in now - it was one of our first renovation projects.

If you hire a contractor usually they will want to purchase the windows themselves, and that cost is included their quotes along with the labor cost for installation. It pays to shop around b/c I got some crazy high quotes. My house has 15 windows and the quotes were anywhere from $5k-$8k.

So we decided to do it ourselves. We purchased windows online from windowliquidators.com. Cost ended up being around $2700 - then installing them took about a day.

Originally posted by @Michael Mullins :

Is it truly necessary for you to replace the window or does just the glass need to be replaced. Do understand windows have the longest financial payback.

It's for my personal residence. This house was built in 1955 so the windows are old.  I'm trying to get some quotes to see which is more cost effective.

Originally posted by @Sarah Shockley :

@Mitchlyn Davis 

First you need to decide if you want to DIY or hire a contractor for the installation. This is a project that requires a city permit FYI, but if you are installing windows on a house you live in, you can pull the permit yourself.

My husband and I replaced all the windows on the house we live in now - it was one of our first renovation projects.

If you hire a contractor usually they will want to purchase the windows themselves, and that cost is included their quotes along with the labor cost for installation. It pays to shop around b/c I got some crazy high quotes. My house has 15 windows and the quotes were anywhere from $5k-$8k.

So we decided to do it ourselves. We purchased windows online from windowliquidators.com. Cost ended up being around $2700 - then installing them took about a day.

That's what I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself or get a company too. Wow, I can't believe that you and your husband did your own home. 

Do I still need a permit if it's for my own residence?

I'll be checking out window liquidators.com as you have mentioned. Thanks for your information!

@Mitchlyn Davis Yes, you still need a permit. However if it's for your own residence, you can pull the permit yourself - that's what I did. 

The permit cost less than $100, but the city wants to verify that the new windows you're installing are up to code. You will need to bring the product information with you to the permit office downtown.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.