Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Miami
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kris Shea
Votes |
Looking to buy 6 Months - How to stay informed

Kris Shea
Posted Oct 14 2021, 14:12

Hello, I hope this sort of post is allowed here.  I'm a longtime Miami resident looking to buy my first home in about 6 months.  Have I gotten my act together at the worst possible time?  I feel like I am a bit too early to start working with an agent, but maybe I'm wrong.  How would anyone suggest I start educating myself about market trends and pricing down here?  I look at Zillow almost every day but I don't really feel like I'm getting much out of it since everything on there now will be gone in a few weeks and I feel guilty to take an agents time to look at listings.

To give a little more context for anyone still reading I expect I'll have about 100k for a down payment by April, but I am looking to keep all my payments under 2k a month (assuming 30 year mortgage + taxes + insurance + condo fees).  I have a long term job in Coral Gables and am used to commuting.  I'd like to buy something east of I95 and don't mind driving up to 45 minutes in the mornings.  I think I'm priced out of single family homes anywhere decent, and seems like I can barely afford a 2 bedroom in Brickell. Kids are in my 5 year plan so I'd like to be near a good elementary school.  Is the beach really so bad now?  I know that crime has gone up but I think a lot of residents have had enough and it seems like there is some momentum to do something about it.  I've seen the occasional 2 bedroom pop up by North Beach Elementary.  

Thanks to anyone who reads this, am I being unrealistic?

Loading replies...