Investing in Winter Garden Florida

4 Replies

Anybody here investing in multifamily properties (2-4 units) in Winter Garden Florida? What has been your experience?

Also, in last 12 months jobs  in Winter Garden has increased by .36%. What kind of jobs have been moving in to Winter Garden?Who are the biggest employers in Winter Garden?

Hi Jason,

In my experience there are two sections of Winter Garden you could be looking at

Plant St area - North section of Winter Garden. A lot of small-town feel here with a focus on shopping local and healthy. There is a large revitalization with a focus in the town's history of orange groves and award winning fishing. It has it's own unique feel. Because it's still coming up, there are a lot of opportunities here. It isn't exactly cheap for MFH units though, you will find them here at least as opposed to the south side.

South side Winter Garden - This area borders Windermere and the north tip of Disney World. Most land is SFH, new construction. Not a ton of MFH lots, if any.

Personally I think Winter Garden is one of the best markets in West Orlando to invest in, if you weren't continuing west to Clermont or even SW to areas closer to Lakeland.

Winter Garden is a super hot area. Doubtful you'll find any good deals on Multi Fam's but if you can find a good deal on a SFH then snatch it up right away.

Originally posted by @Chris Coccaro :

Hi Jason,

In my experience there are two sections of Winter Garden you could be looking at

Plant St area - North section of Winter Garden. A lot of small-town feel here with a focus on shopping local and healthy. There is a large revitalization with a focus in the town's history of orange groves and award winning fishing. It has it's own unique feel. Because it's still coming up, there are a lot of opportunities here. It isn't exactly cheap for MFH units though, you will find them here at least as opposed to the south side.
South side Winter Garden - This area borders Windermere and the north tip of Disney World. Most land is SFH, new construction. Not a ton of MFH lots, if any.

Personally I think Winter Garden is one of the best markets in West Orlando to invest in, if you weren't continuing west to Clermont or even SW to areas closer to Lakeland.

In the Plant St area north section of Winter Garden is that further from UCF, Disney, and Downtown Orlando? Do duplexes go for $300k here too?

@Jason Ma You'd have more luck converting a SFH at that price point. Maybe consider a SFH outside an HOA with enough lot space to add an efficiency or mother-in-law, or convert a garage port? I've seen duplexes in the downtown area around that price but they won't be perfect.

A personal note: Two years ago I looked at a triplex a few blocks from Plant St at 250k. Definitely C or D class. Block looked unfriendly and I saw at least 10 trucks parked for the 3 units. Outer walls looked propped up with plywood. Realtor wouldn't let me look inside - no doubt even more issues there. Those were red flags to me and I went a different route. I bet that building would go for almost 300k today - that's how much the market has changed.

For me, I'd rather have an A or B class SFH than a C or D MFH if the profit margin is similar. I feel that the class of building comes with a different class of renters - read, less problems. How much time are you willing to commit to a problem building? You don't want your investment to be a time sink. Or, check a different market. Lakeland, Jacksonville, Gainsville may have MFH that cater to different renters at better entry points.

We're in a very tough market right now. Interest rates and sales are climbing. Would be worth it to really dig in and do your research.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here