Potential in South Shore / South Chi / East Side

11 Replies

I'm looking to learn more more about these south side neighborhoods (South Shore, South Chicago, East Side) and wanted to see if folks familiar with these areas would mind sharing their thoughts. I'm looking for MY buy & hold opportunities. Within each of these neighborhoods, what locations should I target or steer clear of? 

Thanks for the shout out Chris!
Yes, I've been looking at buildings in the South Shore neighborhood for the past few weeks and have one property in particular that has a ton of potential. Keith, feel free to send me a message directly and I'd be happy to chat!

South Shore is still developing but I think it is still a 10yr process for real gentrification (if it happens) The drive down from the city on LSD to 71st is spectacular passing Hyde Park, Jackson Park, the beaches, the lake, the parks, the Museum of Science etc. . Then South Shore proper starts about 71st St. Then the area turns slowly for the worst as you progress down to 79th. But it all has a ton of potential if you stay close to the Lake and Rainbow Beach area. If you flipped those areas and that location to the Northside they would be Multi Million Dollar areas. They have such an awesome lakefront right along there. The area is showing some signs of progress...new townhomes, new cafes. But some of it is still very depressed.  If you stick close to the lake and near the Metra line that runs thru South Shore I think it could pay off in about 10yrs. Remember...I said could.  Every time I am there it amazes me that the area is not another Hyde Park or Lincoln Park because it has so much going for it. Close to city, good train service, great beaches and tons of open park spaces.

@Ronan M. I've taken the drive down LSD and seen how quickly things change, but I haven't really explored the area too much. That's on my list for this weekend. When you said "it could pay off" were you referring to anything beyond the fact that property values may NOT appreciate? 

@Keith Ellis when I said it could pay off I was referring to the area improving and property values appreciating.

Thx

The south side can have its challenges and is definitely block to block in regards to how big of a headache you will have through the process. If you need help with acquisition or rehab, feel free to reach out.

Originally posted by @Keith Ellis :

I'm looking to learn more more about these south side neighborhoods (South Shore, South Chicago, East Side) and wanted to see if folks familiar with these areas would mind sharing their thoughts. I'm looking for MY buy & hold opportunities. Within each of these neighborhoods, what locations should I target or steer clear of? 

Send us a PM.  There are corridors we avoid in the neighborhoods you're considering.

@Keith Ellis im from the far south side of Chicago and pretty familiar with the area. There are some neighborhoods that are more rural than others although they would make for great investment properties. If you know the analytics of the game im street wise. let me know your thoughts. 

@Mark Ainley what are your thoughts on E 73rd Place in the South Shore? I drove it and it seems like a quiet neighborhood where some deals could be had. Also, it is relatively close to Jackson Park, where the Obama Public Library is gonna be built. They are estimating it being $500 million to build.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.