Who has section 8 rentals in Chicago?

14 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

My tenant moved out on the end of June, I rehabbed the property and plan to sell it. At the beginning of August the tenant get in the property with the keys she has and doesn't want to move out since than. My mistake is that I didn't replace the locks. Based on Section 8 the notice period ended at the end of August  (although I sent them the relevant documents on April) and she has a ready to get in property since September 1st. 

She always stated that in two days she is going to move out, but keep staying in my property. Section 8 warn me to not stopping the utilities, otherwise I'll get a fine. 

What else I can do to force her move out? 

Any advice??

@Ori Foyer unfortunately you are either going to have to do "cash for keys" or you are going to have to evict the tenant. I would go in person and discus things with the tenant. Offer $500 and see if the tenant will leave. Evictions can take several months under the best of circumstances, and we are going to be going into winter shortly. You want that tenant out!

@Ori Foyer You aren't receiving rent, correct? Have you served any notices? If you aren't getting paid and/or have served proper notice, get the eviction filed asap. There is still barely enough time to get her out before the winter moratorium unless we get some crazy cold weather. If you wait, you might be looking at her staying through February. 

Once you do that, ask the tenant what its going to take for her to leave, what can you do to help her do so, and how fast that will happen. Try to get her commit to a firm date.

Lastly, don't cut off the utilities - it'll be an easy case against you for constructive eviction.

Originally posted by @Ori Foyer :

My tenant moved out on the end of June, I rehabbed the property and plan to sell it. At the beginning of August the tenant get in the property with the keys she has and doesn't want to move out since than. My mistake is that I didn't replace the locks. Based on Section 8 the notice period ended at the end of August  (although I sent them the relevant documents on April) and she has a ready to get in property since September 1st. 

She always stated that in two days she is going to move out, but keep staying in my property. Section 8 warn me to not stopping the utilities, otherwise I'll get a fine. 

What else I can do to force her move out? 

Any advice??

She OWES you two months rent.  As stated, start eviction based on non-rent payments.  

Originally posted by @Ori Foyer :

@Matthew Olszak What is the date on which winter begins legally?

There's no set date, but per the Presiding Judge's order, the sheriff can't evict anyone if the temp is below 15 degrees, or weather is too extreme. Those cold days create a backlog usually reaching into early spring.

Super-rare-best-case-scenario, you're looking at a month to evict. Normal case, 2-3. Worst, 6+. Calculate out what month those might dump you in to figure out your chance of being subject to the moratorium. The sooner you start the process the better, no matter the time of year.

I got a section 8 tenant out by calling everyday and offering to pay for moving service. Finally gave ultimatum out (keys returned) in a week and I'll pay $300

She accepted..

I used Chicago marathon movers to move:

A 5 star review of Chicago Marathon Movers by Connor O.:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chicago-marathon-movers-c...

She never returned keys so I kept $300

@Ori Foyer One thing I learned in property management, especially Chicago, every tenant has a number.  If you are trying to sell you are losing huge opportunity as you inch closer each day to the slower part of the year.  Ask her right out TODAY "what will it take to have you out of here by Monday".  If you have to go knock on the door that is what you have to do.  Every tenant in this case has a number.

The cost to you of $2000 today is small to make this issue go away this week and seek your next step in the life cycle of this investment.  Especially your quality of life if you have been dealing with this for a couple of months now.

@Calvin Lipscomb , if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the tenant moved out and then moved back in illegally. In this case, she doesn't owe anything  because they don't have an agreement. She is a squatter, but still has tenancy rights, unfortunately.

Originally posted by @Mark Ainley :

@Ori Foyer What move did you make?  If you need a cash for keys form I can help you.  Just send me a PM.

Sorry for the delayed answer, Mark. The tenant was angry with me, so she refused to hear any offer of "cash for keys". She found a new property to move and started to move her things last week and she is finally giving me her keys today afternoon.

Thanks for your help!!!