Changing Locks On The Entrance Door/

7 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Expected to close on a 6 family this Thursday.  We probably need to change the locks to the entrance door and let us assume that the tenants are hostile.  What is the procedure for changing the locks in Chicago and providing the keys to the tenants.  My thoughts are putting a notice on the doors and under the doors stating what day and time that the front locks will be changed and the time we will be available to provide keys.  Thanks again for your help BP.

you should get them the new keys before you change the locks - a few days in advance and make sure each tenant has received them. You should offer to give each tenant multiple keys - maybe a max of 3? Keep in mind you may also need to get the new key to the post office if mailboxes are inside the front door.

When you say "locks to the entrance door", which lock(s) are you referring to?  Are you referring to a entrance door/gate to the property or the front door lock to each unit?  

Originally posted by @David Cruice :

When you say "locks to the entrance door", which lock(s) are you referring to?  Are you referring to a entrance door/gate to the property or the front door lock to each unit?  

I am referencing the entrance to the property that all tenants have a common key for.  Thanks.

Why do you want to change the entry locks on a multi unit? What are the previous owners going to do, come in and walk around the common areas? Inform the tenants that you are the new owner and any contact with the previous owner should immediately discontinue.

@Calvin Lipscomb what I have personally done in the past is change the unit locks first. I use the land lord lock system, which gives me a master and control key for all locks. Once I have finished all the interior unit doors over a week or two, I then do the exterior doors. The reason for this is that the tenant key also opens the "common area" doors, so I am in essence giving them the key. I also do not change locks on hostile tenant's doors because I am assuming I will be getting rid of these types of folks sooner rather than later. 

I am feeling your pain on this issue though. I am about to start this on my 19 unit in Berwyn, and about half of the hold over tenants don't speak English. There is always something new in real estate!!

Originally posted by @Ray Harrell :

Why do you want to change the entry locks on a multi unit? What are the previous owners going to do, come in and walk around the common areas? Inform the tenants that you are the new owner and any contact with the previous owner should immediately discontinue.

Thanks for the response.  We did not change locks over every unit.  The goal was to secure the apartments that were not rented.  If a squatter gets in they can try to claim to be a tenant.  So our primary goal was to secure the vacant units.   Next, we wanted to provide further security for the remaining residents and we did not know who had the key to the front doors.  So we added a lock to the 2nd door, there was no lock at the time, to "try' and control who had access to the building.