15 tips and tricks for the Chicago market

15 tips and tricks for the Chicago market

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Thought this would be a fun post. Here is a list I created. This is targeted more towards beginner investors so I left out the advanced/high cost strategies. Feel free to add to the list with any of your own tips. Happy investing everyone! 

  • 1) The best bang for your buck value add is adding in-unit laundry. This will cut your vacancy rates down significantly and in many north side neighborhoods can bump the price of the unit up $100-200 per a month.
  • 2) The second best value add is new counter tops/sink and paint. These are things you can do cheap without pulling permits and make a world of difference in the rent you can achieve. I like to steer first time investors towards buildings that already have the modern HVAC systems (furnaces no boilers) so they can do an easy value add such as steps #1 and #2. Having to change HVAC can be $20k+ by itself if doing it legally.
  • 3) White is the desirable look for kitchen rehab rentals right now. Doesn’t have to be high end or expensive finishes but the all-white look with Stainless Steel appliances sells. 
  • 4) The Chicago market is seasonal. An identical property can sell for 5-10% higher in April-May then it would in October-November. Late in the fall around the holidays significantly less people are shopping for properties which means less competition and sellers start to get desperate accepting lower offers/doing price drops. To give some context had a $850k contingent in November which had sat unsold 2 weeks then broke contract mid January all of a sudden multiple offers sold for $900k. Potential $50k saving by shopping when others are busy with the holidays. If you want the best deal this is the time of year!
  • 5) Rentals are also seasonal in Chicago. The prime rental season is March to July. If you buy a building in the off season the best practice is to rent it up on leases that will end between March and July for example a 9 month lease or a 15 month lease. You may have to rent the units under market rate especially if you get stuck in the late fall.
  • 6) 5% down conventional is often the best option for your first house hack and available in many of the gentrifying Chicago neighborhoods. You can check the census track through this link to see what exact neighborhoods this loan is available in for non-income restricted buyers. http://www.freddiemac.com/homepossible/eligibility.html
  • 7) Property management on the north side is a lot cheaper than what you may see quoted on Bigger Pockets for other parts of the US. I can name a handful of managers that charge 5-7% for 3-4 unit buildings.
  • 8) Leasing fees in Chicago are 1 full month if you are buying from out of state, etc. be sure to calculate this in your analysis. The good north side property managers will open their portfolio up to all the little leasing companies in Chicago which gets these units rented quick vs trying to make more money themselves pocket listing both sides ask your manager what their policy is on this.
  • 9) Vacancy rates should be sub 5% if you are priced right in A or B areas. If units are sitting longer you may be over priced or lacking in unit laundry. Make sure to start marketing units 8 weeks in advance of a tenants lease ending. You should have a signed lease before a tenant vacates when done right. I helped lease 1100 north side managed condo/2-4 units when first got licensed so saw the vacancy trends on a larger scale. It's good to be conservative though so run 5-7%.
  • 10) Chicago is a very pet friendly city. Accepting pets will both help reduce vacancy and bring in pet fees. You can charge pet rent $25 per month or a one-time fee of $250-350. No aggressive breeds.
  • 11) In Chicago the norm is a move in fee and no security deposit. Chicago has strict laws with security deposits and most landlords choose to just take a non-refundable move in fee.
  • 12) Parking in Chicago can be worth a lot depending on area be sure to add this into your analysis. It’s not uncommon for parking to rent $100-150 per spot in class A/B. Do not include it with a unit always charge extra for it to max out your cashflow. Whether the parking is garage or a pad it will still rent well. Exceptions are areas with lots of street parking available a good trick to drive by property at a few different times of day.
  • 13) The real profits from north side investments will be over the long term as rents grow and your mortgage stays the same these are typically not high yield in day 1 properties with the exceptions of buildings that have an un-zoned extra unit. There may be ups and downs but over the long run rents will statistically rise. This is especially true in the gentrifying neighborhoods.
  • 14) Run your own market rent analysis. On the good deals you will often see rents very low from old mom and pop landlords. Look at this as an opportunity and don’t get scared when it’s $600 or $800, etc.
  • 15) My hot list of gentrifying neighborhoods…. Avondale, West Logan Square, Hermosa, Humboldt Park (North of North Ave. or between Western Ave. and California Ave.), Albany Park, Irving Park, Rogers Park, West Edgewater, Pilsen/Heart of Chicago, Little Village, Mckinley Park, Bridgeport and Bronzeville. These areas have a ton of upside and the numbers still work for house hacks if you find the right deal.
64Reply
233 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 48 votes
7y

@Marco Morales Beware of security deposits. Any half savvy tenant can find a lawyer to represent them on contingency and you WILL get a judgement against you for $5-$10K, easy. The RLTO (Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance) has ZERO wiggle room; no matter how well intentioned you are, you will not be able to satisfy all the requirements of the RLTO in a way that makes sense.

In virtually every scenario you will be better off with a non-refundable move-in fee.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    This is great information! I’ll keep this in mind *runs to grab notebook and pencil* for a newbie like myself. Thanks! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    So helpful! Thank you!

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
    7y

    super helpful, thank you!

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Great. Thanks for sharing.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    I would debate on the move-in fee vs deposit. I have gone back and forth between the two, and I've learned that with non-refundable move-in fees, screening becomes even more important than it already is. If you are willing to rent to a tenant with say, for example, less than stellar credit, I would do a security deposit. The extra work involved is worth the leverage it gives you in that circumstance.  

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
    7y

    Great post! Thanks for sharing

    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Marco Morales Beware of security deposits. Any half savvy tenant can find a lawyer to represent them on contingency and you WILL get a judgement against you for $5-$10K, easy. The RLTO (Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance) has ZERO wiggle room; no matter how well intentioned you are, you will not be able to satisfy all the requirements of the RLTO in a way that makes sense.

    In virtually every scenario you will be better off with a non-refundable move-in fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 68 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow

    1) What do you see as the initial investment for adding in-unit laundry? For a three story building with no water connections for the washer?

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow - Nice post.  This was great information!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    7y

    great post!!!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Jake C. I am aware of the risks with a security deposit and pretty dilligent about the rules that apply to them. Having done move in fees in the past, I've had too many instances where the tenant wants to break the lease early or having to chase them down for repairs costs to the apartment after they move out. And these are tenants with great credit scores and no evections.  My philosophy is at least with the deposit they have some skin in the game and more motivation to leave the apartment in decent condition or not break the lease early. But, I will definitely consider doing move in fees if the market shifts to them vs security deposits. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow how much are you seeing in unit laundry running to install? I would guess it would be 3-4k per unit right? 

    This is not something I would do in the suburbs as it isn't expected, but if you can get the extra rent it is a no brainer for sure. I do have one building in Lyons that has in unit laundry, and I have never had a vacancy. 

    I would think paint would be the top thing you can do to add value. A little revere pewter by Benjamin Moore goes a long way!

    I also love the pet fees. I am doing this on one of my Berwyn buildings, and we are going to add around $40,000 to the building value because of this one trick!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @John Warren sorry for late reply. My guy can do $1500 for the labor (you buy machine). If you got a good handyman you pay hourly could get done even cheaper. 

    Pet fees I agree awesome. Increases demand for the units and makes you money! 

    Let me know how that Berwyn building goes when it's done. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Great info. Thanks for sharing.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Thank you for this Henry.  I'm new to BiggerPockets and seeing this as I'm looking at investing in a few cities outside of my state (CA), Chicago being a high potential as I'm there quite a bit.  I'm told that there are certain areas that require owner-occupied for a period of time before allowing for rental.  ...additionally, i'd love to also know if you can share experiences with choosing a good property management for Chicago.  Cheers!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    This is a great post! I am an agent on the northside of chicago and just getting started with helping first time buyers house hack. Very helpful.

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    Awesome list!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL. · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Fantastic post! Thank you, Henry!

    Sincerely,

    ;)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Great post!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Wanted to add to #3. Facebook Marketplace for appliances. I found great shape front loading washer and dryer for $500 from LG. Lots of nice barely used appliances on there for CHEAP. 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow Great information! Thanks for writing this up! I've been looking for house hacks in Bridgeport and Pilsen but sadly I think I'm too late.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    As a fellow Chicago realtor, I agree with all this info! Great stuff! One question...

    - When I run the numbers on investment condos that I can afford, I'm only getting about $100-200 more per month in rental income than I'm paying in PITA/PITI. Do you think that's worth it for the hassle of being a landlord or should I hold out in hopes of finding one with more monthly income?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Julia Lindquist if it's only $100-200 over PITA it's probably not good deal. Remember you will have vacancy, leasing fees (if out of state or ever move), etc. 

    You don't need a huge cashflow though if you are in a solid gentrifying area. At 25% down if it goes up even just 2.5% in value a year that's already 10% return. Mortgage paydown comes out to another 5-7%. Plus any cashflow. 

    Check out Albany Park for condos. I just toured a 2br 2ba garden for $144k that was last rented $1500 and bid personally for myself on a 1br for $130k that was last rented $1150. It's a solid area that has been seeing strong growth 5%+ a year lately plus huge growth in rents. I recently leased up a 3 flat all 3br 1ba and we got $1850 for every unit the rents were only $800-900 before my client bought it and rehabbed. The area is changing and should continue. Also East Humboldt Park I have seen good cashflow on condos. 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow thank you for all this great info! I've been looking into Albany for a couple years now but I guess a 25% down payment would make the numbers more worth it!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Henry Lazerow Great post. I bought my first 3-flat in Albany Park 2 years ago, lived in one of the units and recently moved out and now rent all 3 units. I can attest that virtually everything you wrote applies. 

    Looking back at the renovations I made before moving in and while living there, I wish I had added in-unit washer/dryer. I don't think it is a HUGE downfall not having them since we make a nice chunk of change from coin laundry in basement, but over time I think it would help grow with the market, and I wish I had just done it at the time. Oh well, you live and learn with each deal.

    Any thoughts on RUBS/separately water and utilities?  I know it int the norm on the north side, but I'm getting killed on the Water/Gas bills, curious what others have done when you have boiler heating through the older chicago 2 and 2 flats?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.