Chicago Lease Failure to Provide Heat Disclosure - Remedy

10 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Hey, 

I always include the heat disclosure on my leases. It only takes a few clicks online. 

What are the remedies for a Tenant where the Heat Disclosure wasn't provided? I know of a case with a lease starting in August. The heat hasn't been used,  but the disclosure wasn't provided. 

Can they terminate the Lease by notification?

Can they sue to get all of their money back?

Or,

Is this a minor offense of the

Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO) and remedy is just a fee?

Thanks 

What kind of useless and ridiculous answer is that?

Under remedies,  there is no information regarding failure of heat disclosure.  There is a fee of $500, which is minor change.

Updated almost 2 years ago

The question is, is this grounds for lease Termination?

I am sure that the ordinance has a general remedies clause, so if a specific remedy isn't provided, that would apply.

I never found reading the contract, or law, first, to be ridiculous or useless. Maybe that's just me.

Oh, and when I read said law or contract, I do so for comprehension. Works wonders.

Easy to solve.  Use your reading super powers to find the answer. I dare you. 

If anyone cares about this, the answer is,

Nothing. Chicago doesn't do squat about this. There is no precedence of this used effectively despite of what the ordinance says. They won't even bother with the $500 fee.

This answered required research through an attorney, not a clown behind a keyboard with reading superpowers.

I will still include it on my lease agreements. 

@Frank S. too bad the thread went in this direction - there's always good reason to be civil and helpful on these forums so thanks for posting the final answer. And from a realistic standpoint, yes you are correct. A written disclosure that the cost of heating should precede or accompany a lease, contract to lease, or the acceptance of any deposit in an application for lease. If the disclosure is omitted, there is not a right to terminate or withhold rent but a $500 noncompliance penalty (which, as you said, is seldom collected).

Originally posted by @Bradley A. :

@Frank S.

Ignore him. Not once have I seen this user provide helpful, insightful answers. Seems he’s just here to put others down.

Social media is strange, it seems that people vent their shortcomings by putting others down.  

The heat disclosure is too easy to obtain. It can save tons of time.

Frank