Skip to content
Chicago Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Scanlan Jr.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Chicago Tax Accountant Recommendation (house hack & rehab cost)

Kevin Scanlan Jr.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Feb 20 2020, 09:52

Hello fellow Chicago BPers,

I just bought my first rental property in Chicago last June. It's a 3-unit property. I'm currently renting out the bottom and top units, with me living in the middle one. I also Airbnb my other two extra bedrooms on my floor for extra income. In 2019, I also did major rehab to both the top unit and the one I'm currently living/airbnbing in.

I wanted to reach out to fellow real estate investors in the Chicago land area about their accountants:

1. 1) Do you have a recommendation for an accountant that you've personally had a great experience with from the Chicago land area that is very knowledgeable about real estate taxes (especially about house hacking/airbnb and rehab depreciations)?
  2. 2) Only looking for an accountant to fill out my Schedule E and Form 1040 for CY19.
    1. Are there any other tax forms I should be aware of, besides the two listed above?

I have bit of a mess when it comes to my normal tax returns due to my income and sold assets with my side business with Youtube. I currently have two of my close friends who were in the Big 4, handle my personal taxes, so that's why I'm only interested in doing the Schedule E and Form 1040 from a specialized accountant in real estate.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Kevin

Loading replies...