Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Votes |
Buying a house with equity - Best option to fund remodel?

Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Posted

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be buying a house at well below market rate, it isn't in terrible condition but it does need to be updated. My goal is to get it remolded as quickly as possible and turn it into a short term rental.

The house was built in the 70's and is in good condition considering it's age. The interior is almost entirely original so it will need some significant updating, there's some exterior work that needs to be done, and possibly some foundation work as well. In doing some market research it looks like I'll be getting the house at about 50% of the current market rate so I should have quite a bit of equity to work with, even in it's current condition.

Aside from using my own money, what would be a good option to fund the remodel? A HELOC, a home equity loan, or something else?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied

The first question is what NEEDS to be updated versus what to you WANT to update. Remember, never over improve if it is not going to bump your net return. If you are planning on using it for a STR (assuming there are no restrictions locally in doing so), you want to make it attractive to those that will be renting it. You could promote it as having a 70's reto look and not spend a fortune in updating things.

It all comes down to numbers.  Have you run some of the calculators to see what you are looking at making at the purchase price and then in increments of renovation?  You might find at some point what you plan on putting in is not supported by the rates for the area and then you are losing money as you update further.  For a STR, the amenities / furnishings will be a bigger draw and hence payback than updates. 

But as far as funding, see what interest rates and terms you can get. Often you can get an interest only HELOC which woudl let you do the work and not worry about the PI payments until you get the STR income coming in on a steady basis. Try running different options because it all comes down to numbers

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied
Quote from @Christopher Oliva:

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be buying a house at well below market rate, it isn't in terrible condition but it does need to be updated. My goal is to get it remolded as quickly as possible and turn it into a short term rental.

The house was built in the 70's and is in good condition considering it's age. The interior is almost entirely original so it will need some significant updating, there's some exterior work that needs to be done, and possibly some foundation work as well. In doing some market research it looks like I'll be getting the house at about 50% of the current market rate so I should have quite a bit of equity to work with, even in it's current condition.

Aside from using my own money, what would be a good option to fund the remodel? A HELOC, a home equity loan, or something else?

Thanks!

Look into an HML with rehab financing. You get reimbursed for the rehab to keep cash in your pocket.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

Hi @Christopher Oliva, the issue with a HELOC is that they are generally variable rates. However, they offer the best rates. I would do a HELOC then 6 months later, once the rehab is complete and the appraised value is higher, cash-out refinance into a 30-year fixed-rate loan and pay off the HELOC.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Texas
Replied

Thank you all for your input!

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Godoy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

Hi Christopher! Have you considered working with a hard money lender? 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Deasy
Lender
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Replied

@Christopher Oliva if you have enough equity I would recommend hard money and get all of your rehab covered so you don’t need to come out of pocket. Once the rehab is done and the value is higher, refi and pull your cash out and move on to the next one.

I did this many times and it worked well!

User Stats

Votes
Elena King
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Christopher Oliva what did you end up going with on this property? I'm also in Tx and have found it very hard to find a lender who offers HELOC or similar products on investment properties. Curious what you were able to find!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Use hard money. Happy to put you in touch with my lender