Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Comping question/ dilemma

Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Jan 24 2023, 18:31

What can be done when you're looking for the ARV but there is no fully rehabbed houses in the area?

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 25 2023, 06:00

Expand the area from .25 mile to .5 mile or move the solds out from 6 months to a year.....but we know the last year was a lil different as far as price/value

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 12:31
Quote from @Michael L.:

What can be done when you're looking for the ARV but there is no fully rehabbed houses in the area?

You can save money with lower end finishes. If you have recently sold homes that are habitable I would use those. Also, I would look into other areas due to the lack of investment, unless you know of some development plans coming. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 25 2023, 12:38
Quote from @Anthony L Amos Jr:
Quote from @Michael L.:

You can save money with lower end finishes. If you have recently sold homes that are habitable I would use those. Also, I would look into other areas due to the lack of investment, unless you know of some development plans coming. 

@Anthony L Amos Jr., thanks for that input, it'll help for future references, I'm moreso speaking in a comping scenario?

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 12:45
Quote from @Michael L.:
Quote from @Michael L.:

@Anthony L Amos Jr., thanks for that input, it'll help for future references, I'm moreso speaking in a comping scenario?

Yes, If you see recently sold homes that are habitable I would use those. I didn't mean if you sold them, sorry. However, I would also expand my search like Kerry mentioned. I would also be wary of rehabbing a home where there are not many comps available. Hope this helps 

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 25 2023, 13:13
Quote from @Michael L.:
Quote from @Michael L.:

Yes, If you see recently sold homes that are habitable I would use those. I didn't mean if you sold them, sorry. However, I would also expand my search like Kerry mentioned. I would also be wary of rehabbing a home where there are not many comps available. Hope this helps 

Absofreakinlotely💣 , much obliged!

User Stats

Votes
Dan White
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Haymarket
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Haymarket
Replied Jan 27 2023, 07:10
Quote from @Michael L.:

I agree with @Anthony L Amos Jr - be wary of being the high end home where others are not updated. But with that said, just be conservative in the ARV. Expand to show a larger radius for comps but understand some neighborhoods have more appeal than others.

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 27 2023, 07:37
Quote from @Dan White:
Quote from @Michael L.:

@Dan White

I agree with @Anthony L Amos Jr - be wary of being the high end home where others are not updated. But with that said, just be conservative in the ARV. Expand to show a larger radius for comps but understand some neighborhoods have more appeal than others.

@Dan White, awesome feedback and I'm totally in understanding of.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:15

Is this for a property you already own, or a property you're looking to buy to fix and flip?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Moreland
  • Realtor
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:24

As has been mentioned above, I would suggest looking in other areas instead of this one if it will be the only updated home in the area after you rehab it. If you are planning on purchasing an area and owning the only rehabbed/updated property in the area, you are putting yourself in a disadvantageous position out of the gate. We would much rather see you find a distressed house in an awesome area and start out ahead of the curve at purchase!!

If you absolutely need to dial-in the numbers and find a reasonable ARV on this one, be extremely conservative with your valuations as the impact that each improvement you make will be decreased simply due to the rule of averages across the properties in the immediate vicinity. If you are searching hyper locally for comparable properties, increase your search parameters to include adjacent neighborhoods starting first with the most similar neighborhoods before expanding in all directions.

If there are similarly finished homes in adjacent neighborhoods, consider a reduced value added $ amount per square foot for the same finishes due to the neighborhood the Subject Property is in not having those finishes. 

Using made up numbers for sake of example, if vinyl plank flooring and granite countertops add $X/psf to the property value in Neighborhood A, but Subject Neighborhood has none of those things, consider using $(X-.2)/psf for the same updates to land in a conservative range for the Subject Property.

Best of luck and I hope this one works out well!!

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 28 2023, 17:54
Quote from @Marty Boardman:

Is this for a property you already own, or a property you're looking to buy to fix and flip?

@Marty Boardman, fux and flip.

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 28 2023, 18:06
Quote from @Matt Moreland:

As has been mentioned above, I would suggest looking in other areas instead of this one if it will be the only updated home in the area after you rehab it. If you are planning on purchasing an area and owning the only rehabbed/updated property in the area, you are putting yourself in a disadvantageous position out of the gate. We would much rather see you find a distressed house in an awesome area and start out ahead of the curve at purchase!!

If you absolutely need to dial-in the numbers and find a reasonable ARV on this one, be extremely conservative with your valuations as the impact that each improvement you make will be decreased simply due to the rule of averages across the properties in the immediate vicinity. If you are searching hyper locally for comparable properties, increase your search parameters to include adjacent neighborhoods starting first with the most similar neighborhoods before expanding in all directions.

If there are similarly finished homes in adjacent neighborhoods, consider a reduced value added $ amount per square foot for the same finishes due to the neighborhood the Subject Property is in not having those finishes. 

Using made up numbers for sake of example, if vinyl plank flooring and granite countertops add $X/psf to the property value in Neighborhood A, but Subject Neighborhood has none of those things, consider using $(X-.2)/psf for the same updates to land in a conservative range for the Subject Property.

@Matt Moreland, that was a spactacular super deep dive real quick👏🏻. The Subject neighborhood is an very decent location, and the comps I found were done to fit moreso renters and not buyers. So there are comps, just not fully rehabbed comps. Is it possible that this neighborhood doesn't warrant full rehab grade to sell a property? Should I dive in more on the latest sold comps an see if there's a trend?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Moreland
  • Realtor
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Feb 1 2023, 09:13
Quote from @Michael L.:

@Matt Moreland, that was a spactacular super deep dive real quick👏🏻. The Subject neighborhood is an very decent location, and the comps I found were done to fit moreso renters and not buyers. So there are comps, just not fully rehabbed comps. Is it possible that this neighborhood doesn't warrant full rehab grade to sell a property? Should I dive in more on the latest sold comps an see if there's a trend?

That is definitely something to look into more closely -- what level of rehab can the market in that neighborhood support? If it only makes sense to put in some light cosmetic touches, that may make more sense than doing a down-to-the-studs remodel if that would put you in a bad spot.

I would certainly check out the recently sold comps, that will also give you an idea of potential ARV of your own. Good luck, Michael!!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Michael L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 1 2023, 11:27
Quote from @Michael L.:

That is definitely something to look into more closely -- what level of rehab can the market in that neighborhood support? If it only makes sense to put in some light cosmetic touches, that may make more sense than doing a down-to-the-studs remodel if that would put you in a bad spot.

I would certainly check out the recently sold comps, that will also give you an idea of potential ARV of your own. Good luck, Michael!!

Pep talk and gems both received and appreciated🧠✅️!