• Atlanta, Ga
Votes |
Quoted Drywall Costs

Jonathan Riordan
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, Ga
Posted May 19 2023, 05:28

Hello everyone, 

I recently just closed on my second home that I will be house hacking and am doing a significant rehab. A majority of the house is now gutted and I will be replacing most of the drywall throughout the house. I obtained a quote for drywall hanging and finishing that comes out to around $60 per sheet hung and finished (4x8 ft drywall sheets) and that is just for the labor, I pay materials. Does anyone have any recent rates in the Atlanta area that I can compare this to? the house is only around 900 square feet and I will be doing walls, ceilings in 2 bedrooms, and a skim coat on the ceilings in the other rooms. Labor only was quoted at $3,300, materials will be around $1500. 

Thanks so much! 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 19 2023, 06:13

@Jonathan Riordan Get another quote. That price feels high in my opinion. Every market is different, labor is expense now days, but get another quote. At least verify you're not getting ripped off. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 19 2023, 06:33

$4800 for a 1000 SF house, walls. ceilings, mudded and textured, is not bad.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bowser
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Replied May 21 2023, 09:55

@Jonathan Riordan - are you going through a GC or directly to a sub? 

If they do a good job and can do it quickly for less than $5k, that's probably fair. However, I lean towards "I want it done fast and well" and I am willing to pay a little more

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied May 21 2023, 14:33

That price doesn't seem out of line to me. Drywall is a lot of manual labor and it's always in high demand. Price will also depend on the finish you select. Something quick and dirty like Orange peel will be cheaper than say Level 5.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Ivey
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Replied May 22 2023, 13:46

Drywall finishing sucks takes time and art in WA state Seattle area that would be a cheap job way closer to 8K here. you know what they say "get 3 quotes"

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied May 22 2023, 14:15

Job size also comes into play...a larger home even if it takes an extra day or two may be more profitable for them to work on. If they can hang in 6 hours, but won't start mud until the next day then there's an inefficiency in the time it takes to do the job. Smaller home is also typically more corners, which take more time. And skim coat and remodel both imply there are patches too which take more time to finish. So overall that may not be bad.