Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Luis Arellano
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Old victorian house, repaint the whole house or replace the siding completely ?

Luis Arellano
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted May 31 2023, 15:08

I have this beautiful old victorian house. The exterior needs major work, the paint is peeling and given the age of the house I have to assume there is lead paint.  So far my options seem to be:

1) Scrape old chips + Repaint the whole house.  ~11k.  (+ any wood replacement)

2) Replace the whole siding of the house.  ~34k 

3) Creative option? 

The value of the property is around $550k. How would you approach this decision? I'm leaning towards simply repainting the house, but I'm afraid I will not end up liking the end result. The painter said "Since this home has many areas of large peeling paint the surface after primer and paint will not be smoothed as before will have texture."

Any thoughts? 

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied May 31 2023, 15:35
We have done several 1800 homes and love the finished product. We did one from 1843 that had not seen a paint brush in decades and yes, the paint was lead based.  A few lessons we learned that may be of help.

1)  If you go the paint route, make sure the painter is certified to deal with lead paint.  The one we started with was not (despite what Sherwin Williams store said) and it resulted in the job getting red tagged and shut down by the city and then the state.  Trying to get another painter in was twice as hard as they had to deal with the mess the first one left.  You can find lists of qualified painters on line and make sure they are on it!

2) No matter what any painter tells you the final product will look like, with the siding in the condition yours is in, you will not be happy with the final product unless they cost is quite high - sanding each board down is time consuming and expensive.  If having an alligator skin texture is acceptable to you, they make sure you are clear as to how much sanding they will do.

3) There is vinyl siding out there that is designed for older homes like yours . . . . scallops, patterns, etc.  You will pay more but it is virtually maintenance free going forward.  This is not what you will find at LOwe's or H-D . . . find a siding company that does old homes and see what they offer.

4) Final pitfall we stumbled into was make sure the house is not in a designated historic district or is on the national register . . . one we did was and it made any changes we wanted to make 10 times as hard.  Vinyl siding was not even going to be considered.  Even paint colors were dictated and doing exterior work makes it easy for code officers to see what is going on.  The National Park Service guidelines are usually what the city will drive you to follow if they can and that means unless it is too far gone to fix, you need to restore to original.

Be happy to help you further as we love these homes - just learned a lot in doing them.

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 1 2023, 05:29

I agree with @Andy Sabisch its almost impossible to get a house in that condition to look the way you want. I have tried and got called out during inspection and basically scraped and painted twice and it still was not right. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jun 1 2023, 06:11

Wood siding should be painted every 3-7 years per the manufacturers, let's call it 10. From that point its better to replace. Vinyl is an option, but has gotten expensive and the whole point was about saving money. 

My choice would be LP Smart Side as it is easier to work with and does not need to get painted. It will be expensive, but the result will look stunning (vs just okay) and you have increased curb appeal and property value for years to come.

User Stats

Votes
Konstantin Ginzburg
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 1 2023, 08:18

I had a similar project that I did last summer. I purchased a Victoria home that had a lot of wood damage and peeling paint and I had to choose between replacing the wood and repainting or replacing all the siding. I chose to replace the siding with Hardy Plank and I am extremely happy with how the property looks after those repairs. The paint is very smooth and maintenance going forward will likely be minimal. Aesthetically, the property looks far better than it had at first. The costs I was quoted were similar since lumber was far more expensive a year ago but replacing the siding did give me several additional benefits. Since I replaced all the siding, I was able to see the interior framework and replace all the wood that was showing any signs of damage. This allowed me to prevent possible future costs that could have been substantial if it was not caught as early as it was. Another benefit was that we found out that there was no insulation installed so that is a second problem we were able to correct with this route. For us, we plan on holding this property for a very long time so wanted to make sure we performed all the maintenance required to keep this property in great condition so chose to spend a little more up front to maintain future value.  

User Stats

Votes
Luis Arellano
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jun 1 2023, 08:45
Quote from @Konstantin Ginzburg:

I had a similar project that I did last summer. I purchased a Victoria home that had a lot of wood damage and peeling paint and I had to choose between replacing the wood and repainting or replacing all the siding. I chose to replace the siding with Hardy Plank and I am extremely happy with how the property looks after those repairs. The paint is very smooth and maintenance going forward will likely be minimal. Aesthetically, the property looks far better than it had at first. The costs I was quoted were similar since lumber was far more expensive a year ago but replacing the siding did give me several additional benefits. Since I replaced all the siding, I was able to see the interior framework and replace all the wood that was showing any signs of damage. This allowed me to prevent possible future costs that could have been substantial if it was not caught as early as it was. Another benefit was that we found out that there was no insulation installed so that is a second problem we were able to correct with this route. For us, we plan on holding this property for a very long time so wanted to make sure we performed all the maintenance required to keep this property in great condition so chose to spend a little more up front to maintain future value.  

Hi Konstantin, thanks for the details. Do you mind sharing how much did it ended up costing you?

User Stats

Votes
Luis Arellano
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jun 1 2023, 08:47
Quote from @Carlton B.:

I agree with @Andy Sabisch its almost impossible to get a house in that condition to look the way you want. I have tried and got called out during inspection and basically scraped and painted twice and it still was not right. 

Hey Carlton, What happened during the inspection? Why did you have to scrape and paint twice? Did the painter did not have a lead certification or was it another issue? 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Konstantin Ginzburg
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 1 2023, 08:48
Quote from @Luis Arellano:
Quote from @Konstantin Ginzburg:

Hi Konstantin, thanks for the details. Do you mind sharing how much did it ended up costing you?

It's a 3 story building so there was a lot of siding that needed to be replaced. The total cost was $54,000 for siding replacement, adding new insulation, repair and replacement of some wood, painting, replastering some segments of the house, replacing a set of stairs, and other small assorted repairs.