Votes
Aditya Kohli
Pro Member
Votes |
Steps to build a bathroom

Aditya Kohli
Pro Member
Posted Jun 5 2023, 13:56

Hey all, I am in escrow for my next house hack and I wish to add 2 bathrooms in the property : One in the semi-finished garage and other one in the 2nd living room ( next to kitchen ) which will be converted to a bed-bath setup. The house has a crawl space. What should be my next steps or should I talk to contractor and do a walk through with them ? Do I need to engage with an architect for the same ?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mcginn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Jun 5 2023, 13:59

I’d go straight to permitting. Depends how involved you want to be. 
I added a half bath as a builder-owner and got permits through the county. It wasn’t too hard and turned out great!

User Stats

Votes
Aditya Kohli
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 14 2023, 14:22

@Eric Mcginn: Thanks for the advice, would there be any cons if I want to go the un-permitted route. One of the reasons is that the house has 200 sq ft space that was added w/o permits by the previous owner

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mcginn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Jun 14 2023, 19:48

Well the main issue is that you can’t sell it as a 2 bathroom (or 3 bedroom?) when you’re ready to sell. Another issue I’d be concerned with is liability if you are renting it. Insurance isn’t going to want to cover you if someone gets electrocuted (or less fatal incidents) in an unpermited bathroom.