• Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Feb Market Trends and Outlook

Katlynn Teague
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Mar 4 2024, 05:40

Good morning BP,

Okay Flippers, what trends are we seeing in your markets right now?

I am based in Atlanta, GA and we are back to bidding wars!
Average DOM as of last month is 41 days with a median sales price of $415k. 

User Stats

Votes
Hannah Roach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Mar 4 2024, 08:59

I am based in Fayetteville, NC and Raleigh, NC!

According to Redfin.com, the average DOM for Fayetteville is 23 days with a median sales price of $215k. The average rent rate is $1,300/mo. 

The median days on market for Raleigh is 35 days and the average sales price is $382,750. The average rent is between $1,300 - $1,400/mo. 

https://www.redfin.com/city/5903/NC/Fayetteville/housing-mar...

https://www.redfin.com/city/35711/NC/Raleigh/housing-market

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Mar 6 2024, 05:54

My 2 cents. 

All of the rentals I've sold recently (past two years) have been flipped vs. remained rentals. Why?

The following looks at hypothetical purchases, anecdotally and in relative isolation, meaning there may be a reason (for instance to generate large tax losses for "active participation" investors to offset other income) for some individuals to undertake a particular kind of purchase. Here are some scenarios.

For a (Raleigh median) $382,650 purchase, rented at $1,400 /month rent, let's assume an all-cash purchase. Other than taxes and insurance, I'll assume the best case in that there are no other expenses. Income would be roughly $12,706 ($16,800-$4,094) based on projected annual tax (Wake County 0.96% of AV (taxed at 0.5 market value)) and insurance (0.59%). That's a pre-tax return of 3.3%. As an alternative, that $382,650 placed in 4-week T-bills with zero risk will yield (at today's 5% rate) $1,594 per month interest income but with no tax benefits.

On the other extreme, for a (median) $382,650 purchase, rented at $1,400 /month rent, a mortgage at 0% down, 5% interest fixed for 30 years, the interest payment alone starts at $1,594 / month. Simple math results in a significant absolute negative cash flow if fully leveraged. This property would not pass my first screening (rent >= PITIH at full leverage). This scenario results in over $535 negative cash flow. 

At a typical 20% down ($306,120 loan), 5% interest fixed for 30 years, Interest starts at $1,276 / month. After taxes and insurance, your $76,530 down payment "investment" will yield a negative cash return for many years. The non-tax Depreciation Expense (assuming 80/20 improvement to land) will result in an annual $11,132 ($382,650 * 80% / 27.5) depreciation expense which will exceed the $3,000 IRS limit but will guarantee you have no current tax liability for this investment for a long time. As an alternative, that $76,530 placed in 4-week T-bills will yield (at today's rate) $318.88 per month interest income with no tax benefits.

At the moment, I see no compelling reason to buy rentals (arguably at the top of the market) that return less than the short-term treasury bill alternative. Hence, to answer the "trend" question, I see a large number of investor purchases becoming flips. 

https://www.americanfinancing.net/mortgage-calculators/amort...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Votes |
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Replied Mar 6 2024, 06:04

Katlynn,

I live and invest in NE Tennessee and we still have a shortage of inventory. There is a huge demand for long term rentals. This area has a lot of short term rentals because we draw a lot of tourist looking to see the mountains, hiking, or biking. There are also very few houses on the market and the ones that get listed usually move pretty quick.

Currently there are single wide trailers that are selling for over 200,000. It's crazy to me to think someone would pay that much for a trailer, but it's happening. Some people are buying campers and renting a lot because they can not afford a house or find a property to rent. The RV lots are going for about 500 a month. 

User Stats

Votes
Katlynn Teague
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 7 2024, 05:07
Quote from @Shawn Parsh:

Katlynn,

I live and invest in NE Tennessee and we still have a shortage of inventory. There is a huge demand for long term rentals. This area has a lot of short term rentals because we draw a lot of tourist looking to see the mountains, hiking, or biking. There are also very few houses on the market and the ones that get listed usually move pretty quick.

Currently there are single wide trailers that are selling for over 200,000. It's crazy to me to think someone would pay that much for a trailer, but it's happening. Some people are buying campers and renting a lot because they can not afford a house or find a property to rent. The RV lots are going for about 500 a month. 

WOW.... $200k for a trailer and $500 for the lots???? Thats insane.

User Stats

Votes
Katlynn Teague
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 7 2024, 05:19
Quote from @Chris Martin:

My 2 cents. 

All of the rentals I've sold recently (past two years) have been flipped vs. remained rentals. Why?

The following looks at hypothetical purchases, anecdotally and in relative isolation, meaning there may be a reason (for instance to generate large tax losses for "active participation" investors to offset other income) for some individuals to undertake a particular kind of purchase. Here are some scenarios.

For a (Raleigh median) $382,650 purchase, rented at $1,400 /month rent, let's assume an all-cash purchase. Other than taxes and insurance, I'll assume the best case in that there are no other expenses. Income would be roughly $12,706 ($16,800-$4,094) based on projected annual tax (Wake County 0.96% of AV (taxed at 0.5 market value)) and insurance (0.59%). That's a pre-tax return of 3.3%. As an alternative, that $382,650 placed in 4-week T-bills with zero risk will yield (at today's 5% rate) $1,594 per month interest income but with no tax benefits.

On the other extreme, for a (median) $382,650 purchase, rented at $1,400 /month rent, a mortgage at 0% down, 5% interest fixed for 30 years, the interest payment alone starts at $1,594 / month. Simple math results in a significant absolute negative cash flow if fully leveraged. This property would not pass my first screening (rent >= PITIH at full leverage). This scenario results in over $535 negative cash flow. 

At a typical 20% down ($306,120 loan), 5% interest fixed for 30 years, Interest starts at $1,276 / month. After taxes and insurance, your $76,530 down payment "investment" will yield a negative cash return for many years. The non-tax Depreciation Expense (assuming 80/20 improvement to land) will result in an annual $11,132 ($382,650 * 80% / 27.5) depreciation expense which will exceed the $3,000 IRS limit but will guarantee you have no current tax liability for this investment for a long time. As an alternative, that $76,530 placed in 4-week T-bills will yield (at today's rate) $318.88 per month interest income with no tax benefits.

At the moment, I see no compelling reason to buy rentals (arguably at the top of the market) that return less than the short-term treasury bill alternative. Hence, to answer the "trend" question, I see a large number of investor purchases becoming flips. 

https://www.americanfinancing.net/mortgage-calculators/amort...

Chris thank you so much for your comment. Gained a lot of insight here.
I agree with your statement "I see a large number of investor purchases becoming flips." I have been involved in real estate full-time for the last 2 years and I have only sold two rental properties. One, after purchasing my buyer decided just to flip it. In Atlanta, the big thing is short-term rentals inside the perimeter but, I still do not know how they can cash flow with city tax, etc. On top of that, the city passed laws not allowing any one person to own more than three STRs. Long-Term Rentals in the City of Atlanta? Not a thing, it's almost impossible to reach that 1% rule, you have to go into the suburbs. Which leaves flipping!