User Stats

Votes
Chris Coleman
Votes |
Wanting to get started with fix and flips

Chris Coleman
Posted Mar 14 2024, 09:43

Good Morning All, 

Hope the day is treating you well so far.  I have been wholesaling real estate for a little over a year now and ready to take on a new venture in real estate investing.  As I am starting out novice, does anyone have any good recommendations for a GOOD  mentorship program to assist with the process? 

Thank you and happy investing to everyone!!!

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 14 2024, 10:51

@Chris Coleman You don't need a program, class, or guru to teach you how to flip real estate. You need money, market research, time, and contractor support. 

Do you have any of these things? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Coleman
Votes |
Replied Mar 14 2024, 13:27
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Chris Coleman You don't need a program, class, or guru to teach you how to flip real estate. You need money, market research, time, and contractor support. 

Do you have any of these things? 

Hey Jaron,

I have all that you mentioned.  I just want to make sure I am going about things the right way since it will be my first endeavor starting fixers. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 14 2024, 13:57

the thing about mentors is you really want to find someone that is familiar and specializes in the local market you're looking to invest into . That would be a good realtor that knows a lender and a contractor . your local facebook groups are a nice place to start and attend some networking events 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 15 2024, 05:29

@Chris Coleman All you need now is a distressed property with an opportunity to buy below market value. Look at problem properties. Search for long DOM. Find something that failed on market and send the seller a letter asking to buy. The best deals for flips are pretty rough and require quality rehabs. That's where the contractor support is key. It's basically impossible to rehab on your own in a reasonable amount of time, get back on market, and sold. 

User Stats

Votes
Susan Tan
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 15 2024, 06:15

I do agree with everything that was said above. You don't necessarily need a paid online program. I happen to have joined the Flip Secrets online training program which has a good community of other house flippers that I can connect to and find online coaches. 

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 15 2024, 06:32
Quote from @Chris Coleman:

Good Morning All, 

Hope the day is treating you well so far.  I have been wholesaling real estate for a little over a year now and ready to take on a new venture in real estate investing.  As I am starting out novice, does anyone have any good recommendations for a GOOD  mentorship program to assist with the process? 

Thank you and happy investing to everyone!!!

Hey @Chris Coleman

Feel free to reach out. I'm down to chat and share my experiences with flipping properties. I went from flipping properties to Wholesaling full-time for a bit over a year now. I saw wholesaling as a more scalable model for my business so I decided to transition to it since I was already heavily marketing direct to seller. Let's connect!

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Mar 15 2024, 14:30

Chris,

Where are you looking to get started? Have you ever thought about partnering so that way you are able to still learn and get hands on experience all while actually going through the process instead of you paying someone to tell you how to go through the process.

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Terrien
Lender
  • Lender
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Santa Monica, CA
Replied Mar 19 2024, 16:59

Hi @Chris Coleman

Based on what Jaron Walling stated- you do not need a program.  You need to spend time researching and connect with the correct individuals. 

I am originally from Washington state and know the area very well.  I have broker and developer contacts in Washington state which I am more than happy to share with you. 

I strongly recommend connecting with a local real estate agent in your area as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Votes |
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Replied Mar 25 2024, 07:16

Chris,

I agree with many  of the comments. If you haven't already join the local real estate investing club and figure out who is actually investing not talking about investing. Most real estate investors I met over the years are more than willing to answer questions and give advice for free. There is an added benefit when they are in your market. I would also make sure I was connected with a good real estate agent that knows investment real estate and is willing to help educate you through the process. Read all of the books you can on real estate to learn the business faster. Watch the market to get a better gauged on what is selling and for how much. Also keep on eye on rental demand and cost. And at the end of the day the best way to learn how to buy and rehab houses whether to rent or flip is by doing it. Good luck.