• Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Basic Fix and Flip Insurance

John Seitz
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted Mar 20 2024, 11:07

Hello, What kind of insurance do I need for my property while I am renovating it? I will not be living there and there are no other occupants. Is there a certain level of insurance  (liability only) or add-ons I should concern myself with? What do you guys get for basic 'cover-my-***' insurance coverage?

User Stats

Votes
Jessie Dillon
  • Investor
  • Hopedale, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hopedale, MA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 11:27

your insurance broker should be able to answer this for you! if you're using debt to do the project, your lender might also have requirements for this. i've heard horror stories of break-ins & tons of equipment stolen, flooding, fires, etc during flips.

User Stats

Votes
Owen Rosen
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Replied Mar 20 2024, 17:46
Quote from @John Seitz:

Hello, What kind of insurance do I need for my property while I am renovating it? I will not be living there and there are no other occupants. Is there a certain level of insurance  (liability only) or add-ons I should concern myself with? What do you guys get for basic 'cover-my-***' insurance coverage?

It depends on what type of work you're doing and the type of property...a knowledgeable agent will be able to help.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 20 2024, 19:58

Will be a builders risk policy . Goosehead usually is good with it

User Stats

Votes
Steven Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Mar 21 2024, 06:22

Jacob is correct it makes sense to have builders risk. If you use a rehab. lender they will require it. Goosehead is a independent agent business. We recommend Alex Gomez at Steadily Insurance. They have the most competitive pricing.  

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 21 2024, 11:52

@John Seitz NREIG.  https://nreig.com

User Stats

Votes
Jose Jacob
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Mar 21 2024, 19:56

I do several fix&Flips.  I take Builders risk for 6 months which will cover the renovation time. Once the renovation is complete, I take a vacant Policy.  Builders risk will not cover vacant houses.  Make sure you have the right coverage.  Insurance companies will try their best not to fulfill claims by looking for loopholes.  So it is very crucial to have a right coverage.  Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Shango Collier
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 26 2024, 03:19
Quote from @Jose Jacob:

I do several fix&Flips.  I take Builders risk for 6 months which will cover the renovation time. Once the renovation is complete, I take a vacant Policy.  Builders risk will not cover vacant houses.  Make sure you have the right coverage.  Insurance companies will try their best not to fulfill claims by looking for loopholes.  So it is very crucial to have a right coverage.  Good Luck

Thanks for this information. May I know what your 6 month total cost is? I’m trying to estimate the cost of insurance for my holding cost calculation 

User Stats

Votes
John Seitz
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Mar 26 2024, 11:10
Quote from @Jose Jacob:

When you say Builders Risk, what is the breakdown? eg, 300K liability, 20K theft, 200K dwelling, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Jose Jacob
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 5 2024, 17:45
Quote from @Shango Collier:
Quote from @Jose Jacob:

Thanks for this information. May I know what your 6 month total cost is? I’m trying to estimate the cost of insurance for my holding cost calculation 

About $700.  But it also depend upon the square foot of the house and location.  Consult a local insurance agent, they will help you to get a free quote