Yep, that's DEFINITELY mold--looks like there was flooding, based on the distinctive mold / water line.
I see you posted a few months ago so I don't know what your outcome was--but just for the record, w/ properties like these make sure you get an inspection contingency, and have a mold remediation specialist take a look at it. Mold removal can get really expensive, so you want to make sure during the inspection period that costs aren't going to spiral out of control. If estimates turn out to be way more than you originally thought, you can then use the mold inspection to back out.
What happened w/ the property, @Patrick Porras ? Did you decide to put it under contact, or pass?
Thanks for your answer. It was too iffy and I passed.
Thats a big mold problem and is extremely expensive to do properly.
Does the mold fix have to be disclosed when selling the property after its been removed? I haven't heard of that before, but it might be one of those things some people may do to keep everything out in the open.
Not sure if this is a NYS rule or Fed...
IF you test it
IF Toxic mold is found
You have to disclose
to Bob's advice I will add, probably less than 5% of mold is truly "Toxic mold."
All molds are "toxic." Most are only toxic to other molds. The toxins are created as a defense mechanism and allow one type of mold to KILL and overtake another mold's real estate. (Really! It's a real estate "play" at the mold's level!)
There are some people who claim that their central nervous systems are effected by exposure to mold toxins (Stachybotrys toxins are the most commonly blamed culprit) but while there are TONS of anecdotal claims, there is virtually no scientific evidence that this occurs.
Whether or not the presence of mold MUST be disclosed is usually an issue governed by a State's real estate board.
I am from Texas. In Texas, there is a specific disclosure form for mold (that is separate from other environmental issues), so you cannot avoid the disclosure ... or you are liable if you do.
CIEC (Certified Indoor Environmental Consultant)
MAC0325 (Licensed Mold Assessment Consultant, Texas Department of State Health Services)
@Travis West do you know if a house like this must be gutted and cleaned or are there other ways to take care of the mold problem?
I just looked at a house where the upstairs needed a lip stick flip (paint, carpet, new appliances, kitchen and baths probably could saved as I was planning on renting it), but the basement was totally destroyed. Big huge walk out basement but lots of water damage and noticeable mold in two of the 5 rooms. Would the whole house need to be treated to do it right or would only the basement need to be treated?
In instances where the paneling or gypsum wallboard have been saturated for a long time, you'd likely want/need to remediate (remove and discard) them. There is not likely going to be much structural integrity left in those materials.
We routinely recommend removal df the types of damage that your photos show since it is much less costly than trying to clean it.
There are certainly companies that will try to tell you that they can spray a biocide on the mold and kill it and they are right. That is not going to solve your issue here though. The"true allergen" involving mold is in the proteins of the spores and hyphal matter (microscopic mold sticks). Spraying it to kill it will not remove those proteins. Consequently ... And remember this ...
A DEAD MOLD IS JUST AS HARMFUL AS A LIVE MOLD ! There is absolutely NO DEBATE on the importance of this issue. Children, elderly, and hypersensitive (asthma and allergies) individuals can ALL be impacted by mold proteins.
Don't bother with killing it. It is not going to solve any problems.
Cut out the damaged material.
Have a professional do it under containment (plastic containing walls, air scrubbers, etc.) and you can be assured that it is not going to get you sued in the future.
As for the other house you are looking at, I'd say plan on a full remediation in the basement and consider some measure of remediation in the bathrooms.
Find a professional )probably a mold consultant) that you can trust. Get their opinion after an onsite visit. This can't be determined in an online forum.
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!