Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
Honestly, my biggest challenge managing rehabs has always been contractors. They’re great with their hands but terrible with timelines—always saying “two weeks” no matter what the job is. After 20 years, I’ve stopped trying to “fix” them and instead built systems around their weaknesses. What works for me is pairing a foreman who’s good with psychology (basically the contractor whisperer) with a project manager who tracks budgets and deadlines (sometimes even virtual). The foreman keeps the relationship strong, the PM enforces timelines, and the contractor gets to do what they’re best at: building. The reality is it’s a revolving door—the good ones get cocky when they scale, and the bad ones often come back later asking for another chance. If you expect that instead of fighting it, you’ll stay sane and protect your projects. For out-of-state investors especially, don’t just rely on photos and texts—you need someone local to keep eyes on the property, pay in draws instead of upfront, and always have backup contractors lined up. Contractors will frustrate you, but with the right system they’ll also help you build serious wealth.
What’s been your experience managing contractors—do you find it’s more about finding the “right one,” or building a system that works no matter who’s swinging the hammer?
Wholesaler · Irvington, NJ · Member since 2025 · 112 posts · 53 votes
1y
Totally feel you, Jorge. I’ve learned the hard way that expecting contractors to hit timelines perfectly is a losing game. For me, it’s definitely a mix of both: finding a reliable core team helps, but even the best contractors need structure. I’ve started breaking projects into smaller milestones, paying in draws, and having someone local checking in regularly. It keeps everyone accountable without micromanaging. Also, having backups lined up has saved me more than once nothing worse than a stalled rehab with zero options.
Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2022 · 22 posts · 20 votes
1y
Great post, Jorge. I can definitely relate. I’ve found that it’s less about trying to find the “perfect” contractor and more about having systems in place to manage whoever is on the job. In my experience doing project management on rehab projects here in Indiana, keeping a clear scope of work, paying in structured draws, and checking in consistently on-site makes a huge difference.
I’ve also seen that when you set the tone early with expectations on timelines and communication, most contractors will either rise to the standard or weed themselves out quickly. Having backups ready is key too, especially in smaller markets.
I’m based in Indianapolis and oversee projects for investors, so if anyone is ever looking for boots on the ground here, I’m always open to connecting.