• Investor
  • Chamblee, GA
Votes |
Pulling permits without a contractors license

Brandon Hardy
  • Investor
  • Chamblee, GA
Posted Jul 2 2014, 17:10

Hello BP. We are fairly new to REI. On our first couple rehabs we were working in a city that allows the home owner pull the building permit even if it isn't their primary residence. We got the permits and acted as the general for the projects. All our sub's were licensed and pulled there own permits for their particular trades. Things went well.

Now we are looking into a project in an area (DeKalb county) that requires a GC to pull the renovation permit if the house is not the owners primary residence.

Aside from getting a contractors license, is there any way around having to hire a GC for the job?  With budgets so tight, we have been able to save money by acting as the general ourselves.  I know this is risky, but my partner and I both have extensive construction backgrounds, and we only use quality, licensed sub's.

Do we just have to bite the bullet and hire a general contractor for the project, and ourselves fall into the role of project manager?  If so, do GC's generally always want to use their own subs?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Loading replies...