Laminate wood flooring

16 Replies

Researching the internet is a mixed bag about laminate wood flooring for kitchens and baths. I want continuity throughout the house, just going to carpet the bedrooms. I know a few years back, it didn't hold up well even if a little water got on it. It seems currently that those problems are not as predominate any longer if 8mm is used. This house is being flipped for a home buyer. ARV is $120k, which is the median for my area. Because of this real hardwood seems to be cost prohibitive because the house needs quite a bit of updating throughout (can you say Brady Bunch orange kitchen counters? LoL!) Any input about your experiences with laminate wood floors would be beneficial. Thank you!

We have used this flooring as high as $150k (average for our area, median is closer to $250k) with great success.  usually in the living/kitchen areas.  Stick to tile in wet(er) areas but its been a design choice over utility choice.

A little cheaper than engineered wood flooring and as long as the rest of your package looks good it generally will not matter in the buyers eye.  Last property we used it on sold in 30 minutes.

Medium facebook profile logoSam Craven, Senna House Buyers | [email protected] | 832‑722‑4815 | http://www.SennaHouseBuyers.com | Podcast Guest on Show #137

What about tile that looks like wood?  I guess it would depend on your area if that is acceptable or not.

I have a nice laminate wood in my personal kitchen (open space, also wanted continuity) and it looks great and seems to hold up to the minimal water pretty well, but does NOT hold up to things (silverwear, cups, etc) being dropped on it.  It is thick - and it dents or chips off the finish.  Also little tiny pebbles and what not will scratch it - not great for moving appliances in/out.  So durability wise, I would not do it again.

Wood in bathrooms/ kitchens is always a mistake. Water will always get on it and will always warp as a result. Engineered i would assume has some degree of wood in it, hence some degree of damage occurred

I personally would use tile in kitchen and baths or the luxury vinyl tiles that are taking over the market. Laminate will damage easily with the amount of water that is spilt in these areas. 

Good luck!

Nicole Pettis, Novu Capital Investments | [email protected] | 614.638.8635

If you want a floor that will "hold up" to a flood, look to vinyl products from Flexitec.  A flood may damage the subfloor because the water finds the edges of the room, but you can dry out this vinyl and reinstall it!!

After that, your next best bet is a vinyl that is coved up the wall.  Commercial applications use this all the time.

Laminate...works well in kitchens.  Just remember laminate is not indestructible: it can scratch and dent.  Water will still seek out the edges of the room, which will hurt everything in the case of a flood.  Normal spills of water, milk, or whatever should not hurt the product provided the liquid is cleaned up as it should be...

I've used laminate many times in kitchens with no issues.  Laminate is less expensive than hardwood, and the install will cost less as well.

@Jane George  

Contuninty is very important when it comes to flips. And I see a lot of investors skip right over this concept.

Saying that, in homes of 100k to 180k I have used Engineered Hardwoods/Laminate in these houses for years. I run those floors throughout the house foyer, LR, DR,Kitchen, Hallway then in the bathrooms ceramic tile, and carpet in bedrooms. When that formula I have sold well over 100 houses in retail with that type of flooring. 

If you want any SKUs or pics of flooring let me know and I will get some photos of houses we have done that one. 

AC

Medium ac logoAndrew Cordle, Andrew Cordle | [email protected]

If flipping a home, laminate is OK but for buy and hold, tile is the way to go.. It also depends on the climate as any water damage in high humidity or warmer climate can also cause damage to the laminate.. In your scenario and price range of property, I'd go laminate all around and tile in bathrooms without a doubt. I'm personally against carpet anywhere in the house but if carpet works in your market, then go for it!

Good Luck!

Thank you everyone for input! You've been a great help :)

@Andrew Cordle  thank you, I would appreciate some skus and pics. Always open to suggestions!

@Jane George

Here are some pics and and the skus that we use for some of our flips. 

Hope this helps.

Sorry I had to take them from my iphone messages.

Medium ac logoAndrew Cordle, Andrew Cordle | [email protected]

Thanks Andrew! It just so happens I was leaning toward that very Traffic Master hickory.

@JaneG I am curious to know your results in Texas. Did you have any buyer mention they are not going to put an offer because you elected to put wood in the kitchen floor?

This is exactly the discussion we have on our property in Florida. We have the perfect setting to do a continuous laminate wood floor and we are considering the 8mm thick option. However we want to make sure we keep it functional and beautiful.

Our house has an ARV of 150-160k which is below the average and median for this city, but still a very nice neighborhood.

I just love how this floor looks and would like to make something similar to this property.

Laminate floors look beautiful . The wooden floors are just outstanding . I generally prefer a Custom Area Rugs over a wooden floor. The floor then looks more beautiful .

I've had success with Laminate Flooring on rehabs under 150k, primarily in living areas, etc, but not in kitchen/baths, as laminate is worthless when it gets wet.

I use Floor n Decor, they have plenty of styles of 12mm laminate under $1.50 sq ft

A great installer makes a big difference too.

Tyler H., Definitive Properties, LLC | (817) 721‑8511 | http://www.sellfastfortworth.com

I put a good quality, 12mm laminate in my rentals, and it still looks brand new.  I had a washer flood the floors in one house.  We mopped it all up, and the floors were fine. I wouldn't use them in any room with a bathtub or shower, but otherwise, if you pick a good product, it should be fine.

Laminate quality really runs the gamut, though.  I have seen some really cheap floors, and they curl at the edges if you breathe on them too hard.

Medium buysellinvest.2Dawn Brenengen, Trailwood Realty, LLC | 919‑840‑8692 | http://www.trailwoodrealty.com | Podcast Guest on Show #101

I use laminate flooring and stand by it.  The reason I started using it was a few years ago my mom was remodeling her kitchen.  She had pergo flooring in her kitchen for like 8 years, also had 5 kids and all their friends walking on, spilling, skateboarding, etc on it.  It was taken out in tact and I put it in a duplex of mine.  The floor  still looks amazing.  Ceramic is best for kitchen and bath, but if you can get a deal, go for laminate for sure!