White Cabinets - What Color Granite Countertop and Backsplash Should I Install?

White Cabinets - What Color Granite Countertop and Backsplash Should I Install?

Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

What color granite countertops and backsplash goes best in a kitchen that has white cabinets?

Anyone have any color scheme that worked good for them?  Just looking for any and all opinions.  Thanks in advance.

0Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 43 votes
12y
Hi bp community. Whenever I use white cabinets, I go with a level 2 river white granite with a white glass or ceramic subway tile. I also use the lowes Allen Roth shimmering lights mosaic wall tile as an accent piece in the middle. It picks up all the colors in the river white granite. My personal opinion is that it will look really nice if you used a light shade of gray paint on the walls to bring it all together. All the best Corey
See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sunnyside, NY · Member since 2014 · 355 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    @Michael Noto my personal taste is for a lighter countertop and backsplace with white cabinets, say beige or light brown in color. Some folk go for dark (black) which can look striking but it screams "rental unit" in my book. Even if it is going to be a rental unit, you still want your renters to think "home" when they see the place. Black and white kitchens also look cheaper in my opinion. 

    Since you asked for opinions...

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for the input @Account Closed ! This will be for a flip that we will be looking to resell, not turn into a rental.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    12y

    @Michael Noto Hot Pink! Haha just kidding.

    You can go a few different color directions. You can either do something in the beige or gray family. Those will probably be your best bet. Then with white cabinets many designers are going for white subway tile for the backsplash or a subtle color of glass subway tile, that's always nice. Gives it that classic/modern look.

    The key with granite is to not get too busy of a pattern in it, try to keep it on the simple side. 

    Hope this helps!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    12y

    @Michael Noto - It depends on the other items in the house.  If you are sticking with browns and tans (tile, paint, etc), then your granite and backsplash should match.  If you are going grey tones, then you stick with more white granite and grey backsplash.  I'm moving all my flips overs to the grey's as they seem to be more popular now.  

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Black granite

    White Subway Tile with either gray grout for a brick look, or white grout and run a slim line of patterned-glass tile thru the middle.

    That is my go-to ;-)

  • Investor · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 43 votes
    12y
    Hi bp community. Whenever I use white cabinets, I go with a level 2 river white granite with a white glass or ceramic subway tile. I also use the lowes Allen Roth shimmering lights mosaic wall tile as an accent piece in the middle. It picks up all the colors in the river white granite. My personal opinion is that it will look really nice if you used a light shade of gray paint on the walls to bring it all together. All the best Corey
  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    Michael,

    Post a few photos up and I may be able to give you a few samples to get the wheels turning.

  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
    12y

    I spend a lot of time on Houzz going through some of their design books to find good looking color combos, styles, etc. Their search function is pretty decent so that if you type in "white cabinets with granite" you should get a large range of options. While not the easiest way to find an answer, I've found it helps me keep up on style trends.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Look up Saint Cecilia granite pattern on Google and then peek at the images ...

    Here is a discussion with some pictures from another site:

    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg...

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    12y

    I prefer to go with santa cecilia or something similar.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Corey Beckwith:

    Hi bp community. Whenever I use white cabinets, I go with a level 2 river white granite All the best 

    Corey

     Here's the white river look in the wife's laundry room (the slab was a remnant).

    I have done 2 more since.

    I prefer it with the darker cabinets & these were less expensive than the White we looked at. (The backsplash was not my choice).

  • Investor · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 43 votes
    12y
    Great look Pat. I wish I new how to show a pic on bp. Some instructions will be appreciated. Thanks
  • Investor · NY · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    I love the look of a mostly white with grey/black accents granite counter, then white or a light colorored subway tile.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I love the look of a mostly white with grey/black accents granite counter, then white or a light colorored subway tile.

     Yes great choices

    here are the remnants/orphan slabs available that we are tossing around for the next project

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Thank you everyone for this feedback.  All of it has been great.

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I have asked around, and noticed many people like the light counter tops & back-splash's (greys) like this one

    But I agree with looking around your area and on Houzz or something similar for ideas. 

    Hope that helps! 

    Best wishes! 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2012 · 148 posts · 123 votes
    12y

    yeah really depends on the overall style of the house.  I would look at a lot of pics and choose the best style you like or even better yet that goes with the area and house.  

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Nice pics @Joe Demonte 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.