Any of you test for asbestos, or just go ahead and start?

9 Replies

Going to start a renov in couple of week, I have no ideal it has asbestos or not. When you guys DIY, do you guys test for it? No wall knock down, just old hardwood floor change, and maybe bathroom remodel.  

I test if I think it may be there. If you are just laying floor and replacing bathroom fixtures, I would think you are fine. I know Cali is strict on those types of things though, so check any local laws.

I wouldn't test unless there were signs that it was present.

Actually, the house isn't in California, and it's build in 1947. I was reading some pages regarding prep work for renov, and most says need to be careful about asbestos. I'm really time restricted on this renovation, since I request personal time off from work to do this. If I start demo on the floor, and find asbestos, then it'll cost too much time to get them remove. I guess it's always a gamble to do it last minutes. 

1947 construction most likely has Asbestos exist in the house. 

I would suggest you to get good masks if you are going to do DIY renovation in this condition.

Asbestos isn't actually as dangerous as everyone seems. The big uproar came way 1960's and 1970's and all of the people who got really sick form it were factory workers who were using it as a flame retardant on what ever it might be they were manufacturing. They were exposed to it daily for over long periods of time. I was reading somewhere that inhaling asbestos that might come from say a popcorn ceiling would do about as much damage as smoking a cigarette. They actually compared the two as in if you smoke cigarettes everyday obviously that will lead to issues same with asbestos if you are around it everyday. 

Most houses are going to have it that were built before the 1980's. Now even with everything I said it is always best to take precautions and be safe withe everything.

******* I am not a doctor or lawyer or advising anyone to go start eating popcorn ceilings or huffing asbestos******

Originally posted by @Casey Cuppy:

Asbestos isn't actually as dangerous as everyone seems. The big uproar came way 1960's and 1970's and all of the people who got really sick form it were factory workers who were using it as a flame retardant on what ever it might be they were manufacturing. They were exposed to it daily for over long periods of time. I was reading somewhere that inhaling asbestos that might come from say a popcorn ceiling would do about as much damage as smoking a cigarette. They actually compared the two as in if you smoke cigarettes everyday obviously that will lead to issues same with asbestos if you are around it everyday. 

Most houses are going to have it that were built before the 1980's. Now even with everything I said it is always best to take precautions and be safe withe everything.

******* I am not a doctor or lawyer or advising anyone to go start eating popcorn ceilings or huffing asbestos******

What casey states is correct, however if you are going to DIY spend money on the best respirator mask you can find at home depot, and if you are going to remove the carpets, and you want to scrape the popcorn ceilings, use a hose to soak the ceiling to make it come down easy and  to lower the dust particles in the air. If you are going to hire someone, sometimes they will simply float and skim new mud over the top of the popcorn.  

Thanks guys. I'll defiantly be buying respirator mask, I'm going to call couple asbestos company to get a quote on checking out prices for testing.

I test during the inspection period if we find tiles that appear to be asbestos. The testing was like $35 and took a couple days, the remediation is super costly and I don't need to deal with something that's known to cause lung cancer.  Different areas have laws about it, here in Cook County the remediation company has to get a permit and I think it HAS to be done by a remediation company, I don't think DIY is even allowed.