Average timeframe for a flip

Average timeframe for a flip

Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 15 votes
So I'm curious about what your typical timeframes are on a flip. Let's just say an average flip (more than paint and floors but less than a total gut job). From the time you acquire the property, how long is it taking to get the property renovated and back on the market for sale?
0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

montgomery, AL · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 18 votes
12y

I bought a total rehab in January, 3 bedrooms,2 baths,1 carport,hardwood floors,all brick,deck,workshop. I gutted the whole house and had a contractor do some drywall work in the family room. Myself and my two sons worked on the house for two weeks. I been working on the house for the last 6 months, reason being I wanted to know every aspect of a total rehab. I took a little more time than I thought, but the hands on experience you just can't get from any book or video. Now on my next rehab I will use a contractor for most or all of the work. I know how to do the work and how much I am willing to pay. I'm out the pocket about 12,500 for repairs and saved about 10,000. Time consuming yes, but whats the hurry. I see many deals where I bought this home. Have about 80,000 of equity in the home that is free and clear. A full rehab should take you 3 months and cosmetic fixer about 6 weeks.

Jay

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • montgomery, AL · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    I bought a total rehab in January, 3 bedrooms,2 baths,1 carport,hardwood floors,all brick,deck,workshop. I gutted the whole house and had a contractor do some drywall work in the family room. Myself and my two sons worked on the house for two weeks. I been working on the house for the last 6 months, reason being I wanted to know every aspect of a total rehab. I took a little more time than I thought, but the hands on experience you just can't get from any book or video. Now on my next rehab I will use a contractor for most or all of the work. I know how to do the work and how much I am willing to pay. I'm out the pocket about 12,500 for repairs and saved about 10,000. Time consuming yes, but whats the hurry. I see many deals where I bought this home. Have about 80,000 of equity in the home that is free and clear. A full rehab should take you 3 months and cosmetic fixer about 6 weeks.

    Jay

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    12y

    I agree with Jay. A quick cosmetic flip should take no longer then 60 days. 

    Our YTD spreadsheet with all our partners shows about 92.5 days average. 

    I think thats a good reference point. 

    Best of luck in all your ventures. 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    Purely cosmetic (paint, flooring, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, cabinets, countertops, appliances, etc) is 2-3 weeks.  When you start to add in sheetrock work, add another week.  Permits and inspections?  Add another week.  Structural or framing work?  Add another week.  Major mechanical or electrical work?  Add another week.

    So, typically 2-8 weeks, depending on the scope of the project.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Hyattsville , MD · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 256 votes
    12y

    My latest project I started on August 22nd - The day I bought it.. We did whole house siding, all new windows, sheetrock the whole basement, rerouted some plumbing and duct work, electrical, kitchens, baths, floors etc. House was completed last week. Total time was 4 weeks- Project before that was 3 weeks.

    Total time should be anywhere between I would say 3 weeks to 2 months (major project)assuming you order things in time to make your timeline.

  • Jessica H.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    That's great Ophelia! Do you use a GC for all your projects?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.