Slate Roof

6 Replies

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at a house with a slate roof, and am wondering if anyone has had any experience doing a flip with one. Did you replace it? Or if it was in good condition, did you leave it? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Hey David,

I've never flipped a slate roof but I have some experience with them. Long story short, the roof can probably be repaired unless the slates are worn out. Slate roofs are very modular. Unlike an asphalt roof, slate roofing systems can be taken apart, repaired, and put back together using any original, undamaged materials.

The biggest issue with slate these days is finding a slater. Few roofers do quality slate work. Your best bet is probably to find an older roofer as they are more likely to have experience with slate. I'd look for a slater to give you a quote on a repair before you decide anything.

For me, it comes down to cost. If the roof is badly damaged or worn out then I would replace it with asphalt. A brand new asphalt roof can easily be cheaper than major repairs to a slate roof. 

Another thing to consider is local attitudes towards slate. Some people love it, some people hate it. The only way to know is to ask around. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I've never dealt with one, but if it's in good shape, I'd leave it. Slate roofs are expensive, and I would consider it a great asset. I only see them on high end homes around here. There's a reason asphalt shingle companies make a "slate look" shingle - many people can't afford slate, but like the high end look.

Hey Guys, 

Thanks for the input. I just found out that it has had some maintenance in the past 8 years and I already thought it looked like it was in good shape, so I think I will just leave it. 

Thanks,

David

Probably a good call. 

Just FYI- if the most recent maintenance was done 8 years ago you should still take a close look. Depending on your climate, 8 years is a long time to go without maintenance. Especially if you get any sort of snow, ice, or wind. A slate roof can often last 100+ years but it does require occasional maintenance.

If you're dealing with a big, old house there may be some sort of trap door in the attic that will allow you to take a look at the roof. Otherwise, just put a ladder up at the eaves. Alternatively, take a look from the ground with some binoculars. 

If you see missing or broken slates then you can call a roofer. A simple repair might only cost a few hundred dollars. Just make sure that they don't use any sort of silicone,  roofer's cement, or similar sticky stuff to make the repair.

Yes I will have to take a look at it. I am hoping to get a contractor out there in the next couple of days. It is just a small home (1100 Sqft) so there is no trap door that I could see. 

I really appreciate the help,

David

Sure thing, good luck.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.