Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 765 votes
Hello BP,
I have been a reader of the site for quite some time but I have not yet posted. This week, my wife and I closed on our first deal: SFR in Memphis, TN with a 2-year lease tenant already in place.
In my day job, I work as a financial analyst and I see the importance of keeping a tidy set of books. I would like to get off to a good start with our family's rental business and keep the financial transactions tidy from the get go. Currently I'm doing things in Google spreadsheets and I have a suspicion that this process isn't going to scale very well.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for accounting software for landlords?
Unnecessary but highly desirable would be the ability to automate monthly transactions for items such as prepaid insurance, prepaid taxes, depreciation expenses.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Excel can do it all. You have to do a bit more legwork up front to figure out how to categorize your expenses yourself (I just figured out the categories the first year I filed my taxes and have been using them ever since). I could just as easily accommodate 1,000+ properties in my spreadsheets as I can the handful that I currently track. Most tax professionals should be able to work with either QuickBooks or Excel...I don't think there are really any other competitive options especially for somebody just starting out.
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
quick books if your dying to pay for something. Google docs should be good co suffering you have one property. If you get many more then go with the software.
Full Time Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2013 · 320 posts · 154 votes
11y
@Frank Jiang I use quick books. If you want to grow your business, I would recommend setting it up early and correctly. Enlist the help of an experienced bookkeeper or accountant. It will save you money in the long run.
If you are only going to have a few units, you can easily maintain it in an excel spreadsheet.
I have been a reader of the site for quite some time but I have not yet posted. This week, my wife and I closed on our first deal: SFR in Memphis, TN with a 2-year lease tenant already in place.
In my day job, I work as a financial analyst and I see the importance of keeping a tidy set of books. I would like to get off to a good start with our family's rental business and keep the financial transactions tidy from the get go. Currently I'm doing things in Google spreadsheets and I have a suspicion that this process isn't going to scale very well.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for accounting software for landlords?
Unnecessary but highly desirable would be the ability to automate monthly transactions for items such as prepaid insurance, prepaid taxes, depreciation expenses.
Thanks all for your help!
Quick Books has an easy online version you could always start with that is only $10 a month.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Excel can do it all. You have to do a bit more legwork up front to figure out how to categorize your expenses yourself (I just figured out the categories the first year I filed my taxes and have been using them ever since). I could just as easily accommodate 1,000+ properties in my spreadsheets as I can the handful that I currently track. Most tax professionals should be able to work with either QuickBooks or Excel...I don't think there are really any other competitive options especially for somebody just starting out.
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
11y
I am a huge fan of Buildium. It just added automatic bank reconciliation, it has a lot of the accounting features of quickbooks, and it has property management features (e.g. electronic rent collection, rental applications, etc.) However, it is way too expensive for only one SFR. (I wouldn't even waste my money on quickbooks at this point.) I used excel for years and it was only when I got in the teens in terms of number of units that I upgraded.
Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
11y
I highly recommend QuickBooks. I used Excel for years, but recently my CPA set up QuickBooks for me and I really like it.
As an alternative, one of my friends told me about: http://rentingwell.com/tour/ . He said that he uses it for keeping track of financials and that its really great for the money.
Accountant · Richboro - Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 901 posts · 246 votes
11y
Consider using a software as an investment, just like investing in a property. Peace of mind, stress free tax time, reports anytime, easy to get loans and your financial ....
I would recommend QuickBooks - reasonably priced and easy to use. As you grow if you do not get all the reports from one software, you can then research and switch.
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 765 votes
11y
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and the warm welcome. I was definitely considering Quickbooks but I'd never heard of Buildium before. Hopefully this will be the first of many deals and I'll have the good problem of not being able to handle my own accounting.