Removing master bath tub in favor of larger shower

14 Replies

We are going to be redoing our master bathroom and we're considering removing the tub so we can increase the size of our small shower. There is a tub in 2 other bathrooms, so it's not like we'd be getting rid of the only one in the house. What would this do to the value of the house?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move it as necessary moderators.

Hi, Loren:  Do you have a realtor on your team?    If not, this is a good time to get one!  They're the ones who will know about how this would impact resale value.  Sounds like a no-brainer to me here in Houston, but it could be a different story in your area.  Good luck!

Kathy Mohr

@Kathy Mohr  

Thanks for the thought. Don't have a realtor at this point. The question is actually about our personal home. We're still in the sponge phase of re investing, we can't do much til next year sometime, so I don't want to waste a reator's time. 

This post has been removed.

It depends if the existing tub and shower are perceived as odd or non-functional in their current state.  If so, a single nice shower might be a good choice.

is it just a basic tub? or is it one of those fancy tubs with jets and stuff? and if you expand the shower, i guess do it luxuriously to make up for the fact there is not tub anymore. throw some marble and accent pieces in there. If you are just going to go basic, than leave the tub. 

We've been removing bathtubs from master bathrooms and enlarging the shower for over 10 years and the trend is only stronger and stronger each year. American's are not bathtub people, the bathtub as the center piece of the master bathroom peaked in the late 70's - early 80's and home builders still haven't figured this out yet. Every American wants a great luxurious shower and most will tell you if they have a 5 piece bathroom that they haven't used their bathtub in 5 years.

As for asking a realtor- ask a designer not a realtor, realtors are reactionary, they base their lives on comps which are old data, they look backwards not forwards, realtors are typically and historically the worst sources of renovation advice.

Go for it !! a large shower will be good.

Hell yeah those are the sort of things I needed to hear. I think we are going to do away with the tub and have a fancy shower. I'll have to put one sided film or something on the window.

Large shower in the master bath is a great sales point just make sure it's done with glamor. That meaning recessed soap shelves, great tile and fixtures and frame-less glass enclosure. At least that's what we see in the DC market.

All the things you mention were on the list already. It's next after the kitchen is done. 

A large custom Tiled shower would add to the property's value one would think

I vote for a large frameless walk-in shower - modern and seemingly weightless to the eyes. Unless the tub is one of those re-finished fancy clawfoot tubs, then that's different.

Something I've been seeing a lot of lately is literally a walk-in shower with no door - like in a lot of places in Europe. Water gets everywhere, though - that's why they it the wet room.

I have a somewhat similar situation, however, this is in a rental and need to redo the bath. It's a 2BR/1BA, more most of my tenants have been single or young couples with no kids. It's in a fast appreciating area, but we're buy and hold and each time a home turns over it's usually a young couple.

@Mike F. When we remodeled our personal home we put in one of those fancy jetted tubs and I can count on one hand the number of times we've used it in 7 years.

Thoughts?

We got rid of the jetted tub and installed a high end steam shower with multiple heads and back jets. I love that shower every morning. We never used that tub in the five years before the upgrade. My wife loves the steam bath feature. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here