Real Estate Investor · Montgomery, PA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
I'm in the process of buying a monster of a old building in my small town. I own a few other buildings in town & this is the last one that really needs some love. I keep going back and forth between wtf was I thinking, and no problem, you can do this.
The two story brick wall in the back is caving in & will need to be completely redone. Roof is completely shot & will need an entirely new roof. Do to the water damage most of the second floor has fallen in to the first floor which has collapsed in to the basement. Other than that it's in fantastic shape *facepalm* I literally fell through the floor, the rot is that bad. I can stand on the first floor and look in to the basement and out through the roof in to the sky from inside. The other 3 exterior walls are in good shape, but everything else will end up being completely repaired. I know that I can handle it if I take on the project one little piece at a time. Who else on the BP forums have gotten in over there head on a rehab?
Real Estate Investor · Central, TX · Member since 2012 · 479 posts · 165 votes
11y
I'll raise my hand. My first one was a complete gut and the second floor was so bad it had to be completely removed and rebuilt. I did a ton of the work myself and it was a great learning experience; but yeah, there were plenty of times I thought to myself "what did I get myself into". http://youtu.be/gwfjHS60SC0
This looks like a great opportunity to show members how it's done. Keep us updated as you progress.
Real Estate Investor · Montgomery, PA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
11y
Thank Ryan, I'll post more pics once I start working on it this winter. Thanks for posting that youtube link, you did one heck of a job on that property.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 12 votes
11y
It's not a question so much if you can do it, but does it make sense financially. Can you make money on it. I don't need the practice anymore so there has to be a profit!