Costs involved with splitting a large bedroom

2 Replies

A couple years back I remember walking around a house with an experienced real estate investor in my area. He mentioned that in that part of town, three bedrooms rented for a lot more than two bedrooms, so he added a wall and door to separate one bedroom into two small ones. 

I'm guessing this is fairly expensive undertaking; can anyone give me a ballpark idea what the costs would be  for doing this in their area?

Permitted, windows need to be egress sized, you need to split heat and put in a closet.  It depends on the setup.  Not so expensive if you don't have to revamp hotwater baseboard and replace windows.  Sheet rock walls are pretty straightforward and a door and smoke detectors plus permits and labor. Also you need to be on city sewer otherwise septic size kicks in and maybe you can't do it.  They will re-assess your taxes too.

To frame out, drywall, and paint a separation wall and a closet for the "new" bedroom, and to add a new entry door should be relatively cheap ($700-$1000, including all materials).  Of course that's assuming each bedroom still has a window and it's own HVAC duct.  If those have to be added for the new bedroom then you're going to see your costs increase.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here