Profit Margin

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 102 votes
11y

I agree with @J Scott 

I would only add this little extra rule. if i am doing a $20k rehab, i want to make $20k. If I am doing a $40k rehab, there better be $40k for me. AVOID doing a $30k rehab just to make $15k.

Notice my use of the word "avoid", it aint set in stone, there are times to break every rule... just think long and hard before you do.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    I shoot for 20% of ARV, minimum $15K. These days, I'll typically accept 15% of ARV, minimum $15K.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Hey J Scott! I read your "The Book on Flipping Houses" !

  • Contractor · Skippack, PA · Member since 2014 · 228 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    Totally depends on your business structure and what you would like to get paid.  Also on your first couple of houses you want to aim high for your "just in case" fund.  Also keep in mind your putting months of overhead in, and your taking a large risk.  So don't be afraid to compensate yourself for it.  The more hands on you are with it the more you should earn on it as well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 102 votes
    11y

    I agree with @J Scott 

    I would only add this little extra rule. if i am doing a $20k rehab, i want to make $20k. If I am doing a $40k rehab, there better be $40k for me. AVOID doing a $30k rehab just to make $15k.

    Notice my use of the word "avoid", it aint set in stone, there are times to break every rule... just think long and hard before you do.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    10y

    @Judah Hoover @J Scott A year on, with a HOT Flipping market (we are focusing on Dallas) do you still use the same metrics you mention above? thanks in advance.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Lucia Rushton:

    @Judah Hoover @J Scott A year on, with a HOT Flipping market (we are focusing on Dallas) do you still use the same metrics you mention above? thanks in advance.

     Yes, though we're doing bigger rehabs these days, so I tend to look for a bit higher returns when I know I'll be holding properties a bit longer and spending more on renovations...

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    10y

    Thanks @J Scott

  • Investor · Acworth, GA · Member since 2010 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Have these numbers changed for you all over the past 7 months? We are having a hard time getting offers accepted with 15% profit, trying not to go any lower however we are getting beat by people willing to go down to 10-12% 

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    9y

    I would think 10% is my worst case scenario, but you're still making a profit, gaining experience, and building your portfolio. If your flip takes 3 months where else can you get that type of return in that same time frame....legally. Most stocks are returning less than 10% on a yearly basis. 

  • Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    Makes great sense, but my CPA is still having me pay capital gains and short term gains is killing me.

  • Kuba F.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 694 votes
    9y

    I used to target 15% but something inevitably eats into it, so I've recently raised my target to 20%.  Trouble is finding that extra 5% is getting to be pretty difficult.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    9y

    Joshua, 

    When we partner with people we look for a min 25% profit margin. In most cases unless you are getting that the risk/reward is not worth it. 

    Best of luck in all your endeavors 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tami R.:

    Makes great sense, but my CPA is still having me pay capital gains and short term gains is killing me.

     Get a new CPA if he/she is booking your profit on flipping as capital gains. 

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Doug W.:
    Originally posted by @Tami R.:

    Makes great sense, but my CPA is still having me pay capital gains and short term gains is killing me.

     Get a new CPA if he/she is booking your profit on flipping as capital gains. 

     While I recognize that you are not a CPA and that what you write here is nothing more than your opinion and as such I should be getting the opinion of a CPA such as @Jim Kennedy or @Brandon Hall but how should a CPA be booking profits from flips if not as capital gains?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    9y

    @James Masotti

    As ordinary income. @Brandon Hall is a great resource for this. I believe that he has written blog posts on BP on the subject and I know he has responded to this question a lot here on the forums. I am on my phone right now so searching and pasting links to other threads is a bit of a PITA though I am sure his responses are easy to find if you are at a computer. 

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @James Masotti as @Doug W. correctly stated, flips are booked as ordinary income subject to SE taxes. CPAs booking their clients flips as capital gains are going to be in a world of hurt should their client ever undergo an audit.

    If you were to do the one-off flip, I can see the argument for capital gain treatment. But if you're building business on flipping, ordinary income all day.

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    What about profit margins for high end flips @J Scott ? 

    ARV 820k-850k

    rehab 70K

    owner is wanting 600k+

    fixed costs  50k

    an at offer 590k puts ROI around 14% would this be acceptable for a high end flip?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.