First rehab question

5 Replies

Hi

I have got this great house recently that I would like to flip. I am going to be GC for the rehab. My question to more experienced folks is do I get more accurate bid if I first demo myself so everything is clear for Kitchen/bath contractors to give me an accurate bid.

One of the contractor that I have used in the past suggested that I clean out the 2 baths, kitchen so other contractors know exactly what they are dealing with.

Any suggestions?

I think it would be a good idea to clear out the old first

If you want to save money this is the best and most effective way to go. Not only do you NOT absorb the demo cost. You know first hand what to expect from the rehab because you saw it for yourself. There is much to gain, be well and prosper!

Hi Rao, 

I just flipped my first house this summer in Calgary (50k net). I have worked in construction my whole life. I have no idea the condition of the house but mabye some things like the tubs, toilets, cabinets, are salvagable. Perhaps you should get a GC that gives free estimates or consolidation to come and have a look to give you a quote on site. During your walkthrough with him he will give you some ideas. Also know your area and what upgrades it will support, a realtor who knows the area would be ideal for these answers. Labour is usually the most expensive part of any construction project so what ever you can do yourself is money in your pocket but somethings should be left to the pros. 

Hope this is helpful

Also check out Fourtune builders, they have a great scope of work for rehabs on their site.

@Rao V.  Get some free estimates first. Then do all the demo yourself. Then get estimates after so you will have a ballpark for the next one how much you save vs. time spent. Use different contractors for the estimates. On the ones that bid pre-demo ask home much less they will charge if the place is demo was done already. Some won't break it out, some will, some will say on a couple hundred. But it will all end up being good information.

I agree with @Jonathan Key  some contractors will over bid on the demo aspect of a project because they just flat out do not want to or don't have the time to deal with it.  In that case you can save money by doing it yourself.

With that said, some will be competitive on the demo so they can secure the job.  Get a couple contractors out there and see what they have to say.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here