Income Property HGTV realistic estimates?

5 Replies

I've recently been watching HGTV's Income Property. All I have to say is wow they really can turn around a place. But I'm thinking the estimates are a bit conservative? Don't think it includes all the design work and furnishings just the appliances and rehab. What do I know I've never done this or estimated a job. But I am a graphic designer by trade and have an eye for details. Just making notes and seeing potential but don't want to get my hopes up if it is unrealistic in the estimates they give to the home owners. A lot of the fixes are in Canada some around Toronto. The rent prices seems quite reasonable and lower for what you can get then what I'm used to in NYC. 

1st season free on Netflix. 

it is tv.  I am always a sceptic.

no labor, or builder profit, or general contractor cost, or overhead. 

I like to watch the show for the design ideas, but I think the whole idea is misleading. One couple wants to earn money to put their kids - ages about 12 to 15 - through college. So they buy a $600,000 house, fix it up, and rent it for . . . wait for it . . . a big $200 more than their mortgage payment! Like that's going to build a big college fund.

I do sometimes stop on those channels and watch.  For one thing they often have pretty smiling girls an the set, and for another;  I am always looking to learn something if I can.

My short-version assessment is:  it's entertainment and not reference material. <g>

Ever notice how on those carpenter shows even the most complicated wood working details:  complex finger joints, delicate inlays, and etc. all fit Perfectly the first time? <g>  Now I am not Norm Abrams, not by a Long shot - but I have a nice wood shop and a lot of experience making pieces of wood fit together.  And in my experience:  it just ain't like that in real life. <g>

stephen
-------------------

Originally posted by @Justin Lau :

I've recently been watching HGTV's Income Property. All I have to say is wow they really can turn around a place. But I'm thinking the estimates are a bit conservative? Don't think it includes all the design work and furnishings just the appliances and rehab. What do I know I've never done this or estimated a job. But I am a graphic designer by trade and have an eye for details. Just making notes and seeing potential but don't want to get my hopes up if it is unrealistic in the estimates they give to the home owners. A lot of the fixes are in Canada some around Toronto. The rent prices seems quite reasonable and lower for what you can get then what I'm used to in NYC.