Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 0 votes
Hi all,
I am in the process of purchasing an 1100 SF house. The house currently has a fuse panel and outdated wiring. We will be changing the layout so, figured we will upgrade all the electrical while we are at. I had an electrician in for an estimate to replace the 100A fuse panel with a 100A breaker panel, and rewire the whole house. The house is 3 beds/baths and is 2 stories of living above a basement. The panel is in the basemeant, and the service does not require upgrading from the street. The estimate has come in at $20,000. This is much higher than I was expecting, anyone have experience with pricing on similar sized jobs?
Specialist · Pelham, NH · Member since 2013 · 544 posts · 269 votes
11y
A couple of guys mentioned it, location makes a huge difference. @Jeremiah O'Neill , you can't compare rates from New England to other places, they don't line up. Ask these folks what they'd pay for that 1100 sq ft house and the price will range from $5000 up to $125,000 where in Cambridge you probably can't get it less then $250,000, twice whet it would cost in other areas.
Something that gets added in to estimates when I bid a job in Cambridge is the daily parking tickets. Most people don't realize what it's like working in Cambridge. I was on a first name basis with the meter maid when I did job down there. Nice lady. The daily sitting in traffic was also billed to the customer.
Don't pay attention to prices on here unless it's from another person in the same city you're looking at, things vary too greatly to rely on them.
That being said, when you buy the house, I have a licensed electrician that works in Boston all the time that will do the job for less then anyone else. I think he only charges $75-$80 per hour. I won't waste his time sending him out just to do an estimate when you don't even own the house though. Let me know when you actually take ownership and I'll get you two together.
No generator. The stove is gas, there is an electric dryer.
@Colleen F. What have you seen for fuse to breaker panel replacements? That will be phase 1 of this project.
If you have gas and you're planning a rehab, why not plan to have a plumber pull a gas line to the laundry location? Electric dryers are such a utility cost drag, for either a tenant or new buyer. I can't imagine using one (or wiring for one) if there is gas already at the property. I'm assuming the heater is gas? Be careful that you don't get quotes for things you don't want to retain....like an electric dryer outlet.
As for the quote: Are you doing any part of the house as a gut rehab so the electricians don't have to pull through walls? Are any parts of the house lathe and plaster? Is your quote for just puling the wires and installing the new panel/box? Or does it include sub work for restoring walls?
I say make your goal a $10K quote. You might not get one, but it's good to have a goal in mind. And then understand all the variables that make it so that you can't get the job done for $10K. Sorry to say that there are plenty of electricians that are happy to quote you a $20K price when they would do the job it for $10K. Those guys always freak me out. They start out with a price I won't pay and then we negotiate, we get to half.....and then they wonder why I don't hire then. Anyone who will take half has totally lost my trust.
Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
11y
These resi guys are a trip. Now and again I get stuck working with one on a municipal or industrial job. Simple things like changing a transformer connection, repairing a magnetic motor starter, or changing the voltage on a motor, baffle them for the most part. You tell them to do something but then you got to lead them by the hand. Sometimes I play stupid and ask them about something like power factor or I2R losses. My God does the ******** ever start then.
20 G sounds high, unless it's something in Manhattan.
Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 60 posts · 17 votes
11y
Jeremiah, I had the same kind of bids some even higher to do a similar house here in Pittsburgh. I also found a guy on thumbtack that was willing to do the work for about $8,000. Which included updating the whole houses electrical, breaker box and all new line from the pole to the box. I suggest you get more quotes as others have done. Check out thumbtack, it's a really good source for finding contractors or what ever you need.
Contractor · washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2011 · 204 posts · 64 votes
11y
on the low 9500 to 13500 is what you should be paying we have a in-house electrican and wire alot of homes . Get two more bids on what you want to give you a better price point . Also are you requesting alot of high end fixtures. We did a electrical job a little over that price but the fixtures were very high owner had close to 100 small lights dimmer everywhere that made our electrical bid go above the normal bid.
Real Estate Broker · Deland, FL · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 24 votes
11y
I just had my rental property rewire due to thief but it only costed me $3100. I didn't need a new breaker box or rewire all the way to each receptacle, only a few of them. Electrical wires were gone prior to putting in a offer on the house.
Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2012 · 20 posts · 4 votes
11y
Hi Jeremiah,
I do a lot of development in Brookline and Newton (very similar markets to Cambridge) and from the little that I know of your project I would say this seems high. For my customary finish levels, at that square footage, I would look to pay around $16k assuming there are no extraordinarily difficult aspects of the project.
Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 0 votes
11y
Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is clear that I need more estimates. I will get more estimates, and look into pricing multiple ways, i.e. with more walls opened up for easier wiring with extra drywall costs or leave the walls as-is and pay higher electrical costs.