Love letters in attic of 1906 rehab/flip

10 Replies

Hey BP friends!

My electricians found a bunch of love letters from 1966 written to one of the 3 brothers from whom I bought the house I'm rehabbing, a 1906 craftsman. (He was 17 at the time and is in his 60s now.) 

Since he's still alive, I'm having a moral dilemma about what to do with the letters!

1) I'd love to read them, but it feels wrong since the recipient is still around. What would you do, read them or not?

2) Yes, they legally belong to me, but they're not mine in spirit. The recipient is involved in the local community and I could easily give the letters back to him. Would you?

It's my first flip and I'm a hopeless romantic... hopefully you can sift through my sentimentality and give your two cents! Thanks in advance.

@Erin A.  

That is so awesome! I would definitely give them back to him. I'm sure he would be very grateful. 

Give them back but read them.  I am sure you will find it interesting the way people spoke to each other back then. 

I would definitely give them back to him.

I'd give them back to him, but not read them.  I'd also make sure to speak to him directly and not his wife since who knows if those are from an old girlfriend from before he met her.

So, obviously you need to give them back.  To do anything else (including forget about them) boarder on ethical :)

Whether you read them or not is your call.  If I were the one to have found them, I would have decided to not read them... but would also not listen to my own advice and read them anyways.

Just be sure you give them back.

Would definitely offer them back to him. Lee is right, that's why I said "offer". And that's really cool that you found something like that. I found old bills and pay stubs in my current flip house.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like a resounding "yes" to offering to give them back. :-) I'm planning to call him tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens. And as @Lee I. suggested, I won't mention anything to anyone else who might answer the phone. Ha!

With respect to reading them: I've read only enough to know they are in fact (tame) love letters written from a distance. Though the mystery kills me, I'm content to leave it at that.

It is indeed very, very cool!

I would mention that I had the letters and see if he wanted them.

I have offered or returned items in the past most folks are surprised 

only ran across one nut who had rented a place 30 plus years before from a couple we got it from.

They had stored a lot of stuff in the attic 

I was warned she would be a problem and to keep what I wanted and trash the rest but I insisted on returning the stuff so I called and I hauled the boxes and luggage to her 

She started with calling me a thief,actually called the cops in the small town saying I robbed her 

That I kept antiques coins other junk(cop got a kick out of it and said I shouldn't have gave her anything back)her husband said that they had forgotten about the junk

She told people in the area I was a crook for awhile  lol 

Later she went to realtor school and offered to help me find property

CALL HIM TO GIVE THEM BACK, AND ASK IF YOU COULD HAVE THE HONOR OF READING THEM. I'M SURE HE WOULDN'T MIND, AND WOULD PROBABLY GET A KICK OUT OF IT.

IF YOU FIND THE POT OF GOLD, MAYBE KEEP THAT ONE TO YOURSELF ;)

Hey everyone!

I phoned him this morning, and he was surprised to hear from me (first time we've met). He came over about 5 minutes later (small town... LOL) and I gave him the letters. It appeared as if he didn't remember them, but he seems intrigued. In any case, he was grateful and touched. Good call, BP-ers!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here