How many active flippers are currently operating in the U.S?

12 Replies

Does anyone have good data on the number of active flippers currently flipping houses in the U.S? 

I am positive there is a least one ! :)

Thanks Greg. big help you are. Any leads on where to find this data?

Heather,

I'm not sure if you are joking with me or you are quoting a source - I checked out sthkinvestments and couldn't find any data. - Your firm?

I'm challenged in the humor department. 

Perhaps the only way to estimate that would be to see how many homes were purchased in the last year by someone with the last name of LLC and resold in the past six months. I don't believe Case Shiller provide any sort of details pertaining to flippers unfortunately. Although there might be something on investors but of course they include landlords.

[email protected] | 360‑927‑0959 | http://www.patbritton.com | WA Agent # 120557

Originally posted by @Patrick Britton :

Perhaps the only way to estimate that would be to see how many homes were purchased in the last year by someone with the last name of LLC and resold in the past six months. I don't believe Case Shiller provide any sort of details pertaining to flippers unfortunately. Although there might be something on investors but of course they include landlords.

I don't even know if that would work. I don't buy flips as an LLC but just as myself.

I'm sure it's impossible to find an exact number, I'm sure it's difficult to even come close. 

@Patrick Britton probably had the best answer, but that data would be difficult to mine. Additionally it doesn't' take into account flippers who take longer than 6 months or didn't use an LLC. Also, you said active flippers, your data will be skewed by people who are accidental flippers, or just need to dump a house, and I'm sure of dozens of other scenarios.

I don't know why you need this information, but I imagine the work to find the data would be far more costly than the worth of the data afterwards, especially considering I expect the error bar to be quite large.

This is just my best guess though. Maybe someone already did all the trouble and has the answer. I just don't see the value in knowing (other than curiosity) so who would bother?

@Marcello D. 

more than you may think in some markets less in others depends on the avaliablty of inventory and price point.

but 100 's of thousands nationwide no doubt

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

@Alexander 

Thanks for your response. To assuage your curiosity, the data is needed to fill gaps in a business plan. As with any good business plan being able to point to data that can quantify the potential market size, demographics, income etc is critical.

Unfortunately for me I have not be able to get any reasonable estimates. 

@Greg and @Patrick..thanks, I wont be mining for data. Instead, I will pick a number from 1 to 635,341 ( as suggested by Heather).

@Jay Hinrichs  - I can't be the only person curious. Thanks! 

@jscott

Of course you would need this data! I hope you have done well with your books. I read them while deployed, came home and successfully flipped a house with zero hassle ( they can't all be that easy ) and a fair profit of 12% ROI. Part time fun for me; cant wait to do it again.

@Chad Urbshott  

Getting warmer- however that data will give the number of homes flipped as opposed to the number folks flipping. Not sure I can extrapolate from the data they have. But definitely worth a look, thanks.