• York, PA
Votes |
Cracks in the Plaster - Demo/Repair/Cost Questions

Mark M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • York, PA
Posted Mar 7 2015, 10:28

Hey everyone,

Bear with me since this is my first post regarding this topic.  

Description

Cracks are starting to show in the stairwell on the 3rd floor of my first rental which is an old home that's getting older. It's mostly on the ceiling but it's starting to show it's way down the exterior walls.  

Note that image uploaded was edited to enhance and reduce file size.  

Options

• Demo to stud, insulate exterior walls, drywall, mud and paint
  • Demo ceiling, insulate ceiling, repair wall ceiling, drywall ceiling, mud and paint
  • Repair plaster and hope for the best

Currently Doing

In the meantime, I am getting a few estimates since I currently have tenants so this would have to be a fast job. They are fine with a crew coming in since the stairwell rarely see any foot traffic during normal hours.

I did my measurements, it's roughly a 450 sq ft job, with the maximum height of 17 feet from the bottom of the stairwell. Hence the reason for contracting a crew to get the job done in 5 days.

Roofer is also coming out to take a look at the ceiling and roof to see if there is any leaking issues that may be influencing these cracks. Will also give an estimate to do repair/drywall work.

Questions for You

• What do you think is the best route based on your experience in dealing with these types of plaster cracks?  Demo to stud or repair?
  • What's the average cost per square footage of materials and labor have you spent in the past on this type of work? 

I also would like to take the time to thank you for making it this far and invite you to connect with me to network and bounce ideas off each other. It's a goal of mine this year to improve my networking skills and meet other REI players. I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Mark

Loading replies...