Hello all!
We are looking at an old Victorian that has been hacked into 4 apartment units, but we would want to restore it into a SFH. Obviously we have lots to consider..
Anyone have experience with this that can share the lessons learned? What are some of the things we should look out for / budget for?
Well, the first thing that you should look for is to check your zoning regulations. There are some areas near me that are full of multifamily homes, many previously converted from large single family homes, that are now simply zoned "MULTI." That is, you can only build a multifamily in that area and you can't convert a multifamily into a non-conforming structure e.g., a single family home.
So, before you do anything double check that!
I've never personally rehabbed a home that old, but I love old buildings. So, I know a fair bit about them because of my love for them. :)
Here are common issues that other people have run into:
That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope that helped. I want to rehab my own Victorian home in the next few years. I really think I have the soul for it.
Good luck with your renovation and conversion. Please update this thread with your progress. I'm sure the entire community would love to hear how things go!