Exposure to biggest varieties of products for rehab

4 Replies

Hello BP community,

I am looking for a recommendation on where you guys go to research different products for rehab projects, ex. kitchen cabinets, toilets, sinks, blinds, etc. 

Hi Gary,

I am always on the lookout for potential suppliers as I drive around. I stop into any place that seems to wholesale materials and ask for prices.

I also walk into houses that are being rehabbed and try to speak to the investors, contractors, subs, and day laborers. It's possible to learn a lot from all these individuals if you treat them with respect and offer your own services wherever possible.

Good luck,

Marcela

Originally posted by @Marcela Correa :

Hi Gary,

I am always on the lookout for potential suppliers as I drive around. I stop into any place that seems to wholesale materials and ask for prices.

I also walk into houses that are being rehabbed and try to speak to the investors, contractors, subs, and day laborers. It's possible to learn a lot from all these individuals if you treat them with respect and offer your own services wherever possible.

Good luck,

Marcela

Thanks for the advice Marcela. I thought about going to some open houses to get some ideas about materials used in rehabbed homes and asking the Realtor for feedback. Are there any magazines that rehabbers use?

@Gary Waldron Go to your local Chinatown, look for the words wholesale. Careful on the company you choose, 8 of 10 these are crappy products, but if you choose wisely, you could get some good quality. The way they operate is, if you buy them really cheap, like if they give you 30% and you want 50%, they might give you some really crappy product. Open houses will not help you a lot. More like driving and wasting time is your best bet. Personally, I don't like to deal with them, they require a lot of lead time and I hate tracking lead time. Sample is, I buy a lot of angle stops, HD sells them for $7, I buy them for about $3.

In my experience, rarely will the real estate agent know about the products used in a home and even less about contractor or investor pricing. That's why I advise you walk into houses that are under construction, not ones that are finished.

A Google search can't hurt either. Try searching for key words such as "contractor," "supplier," "wholesale," etc.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here