Flip Pics Before and After

34 Replies

@Tyler Smiarowski @Justin S.

Well, I'm all settled in S. Florida now, but we managed to finish up this flip in Cedar Rapids, IA, right before we left. Here are a couple of the after pics!! The hard wood floors were all salvageable and the beech cabinets from Menard's worked out PERFECTLY, in my opinion :).

Living Room (Before)

Living Room (After)

Kitchen (Before)

Kitchen (After)

Bedroom (Before)

Bedroom (After)

I apologize that they aren't the same angle of pictures as the before pics. We finished it right before we moved, so these are actually the listing pics. 

Financed it fully at 89k with a 12k rehab loan. Will have used the entire 12k between holding costs and rehab, but no out of pocket costs yet. It's currently listed at 130k. 

We'll see if it sells!

Updated over 6 years ago

Currently live in Jensen Beach, FL

Looks great.  I've been simply painting cabinets lately instead of replacing them.  Probably drags the price a little, but not enough to make up the difference in cost between painting and replacing.  

That was some scary green carpet in the bedroom before picture. With that rehab budget, I guess all of the issues addressed were mainly cosmetic. Looks like a good job to me! Hope it sells fast for you. 

@Spencer Nelson most of the fixes were purely cosmetic, with the exception of some basement plumbing/leaks. My husband and I did all of the work, only contracting out the carpet laying, which helped us stay on track.

@Account Closed

- what paint did you use?  Did you have to prime the walls first to cover that (orange?  red?  What IS that???)  Or did you find a good primer + paint brand that had good coverage?  If not good coverage, how many coats of paint did it take to cover?

@Linda Weygant Hi!

We did use a primer: Kilz. One coat and it covered the red and orange amazingly.

As for the actual color, it's Pittsburgh Grand Distinction "Winter Wheat" Interior Latex Paint - also just one coat.

@John Warren Thank you! We used the pre-cut laminate from Menard's! It was so cheap, and my husband was able to cut them down to size :). 

When it comes to flips, I can lay tile and paint, etc... but I'm more of the "designer," haha. My husband does the manual labor!

Originally posted by @Spencer Nelson :

That was some scary green carpet in the bedroom before picture. With that rehab budget, I guess all of the issues addressed were mainly cosmetic. Looks like a good job to me! Hope it sells fast for you. 

Scary for somebody to have as flooring today, but it is actually a potentially good sign. Back in the 1960s and 1970s carpet was sort of in style, so people covered their hardwood with carpet. In colors like that green and gold. So when you see that sort of carpet, you lift a corner to check if nice wood was being protected for all those years ;)

@Rebecca Olson

I'm curious to ask, you've stated: "Will have used the entire 12k between holding costs and rehab, but no out of pocket costs yet" as well as "My husband and I did all of the work, only contracting out the carpet laying, which helped us stay on track."

I'm wondering, if you calculated either paying yourself the market wage or the opportunity cost wage into your costs, how off track you might be or how much tighter your profit might be when you sell?

I ask because I've seen several examples where house flippers have handed over the reigns of property rehab/management after purchase only to see their flipping breakeven or worse. I'd be curious to know if you scaled up the amount of flipping whether these unrealized costs would eventually eat into too much of your would-be profit.

EDIT: wanted to add, I think the transformation is phenomenal; the colors and overall tone of the place alone are enough to turn heads