Moving a house??

10 Replies

Hey folks, I'm new to BP (first post). I have a opportunity coming up to move a house onto a nearby piece of property I own. The house is 1200sqft 3bd/1bath, it's fully updated (kitchen and bath) has hardwood floors, new Hvac, vinyl siding, metal roof, and windows all within the last 2 to 3 years. Also, the inside is immaculate. It is currently on a commercial piece of property and after getting quoted to move it for 11k I got the house under contract for $7500. 

I figure I'll have around 25-30 in it once it's moved and completely hooked up (septic, water, crawl space, Hvac, electrical, etc) my county has a 250.00 septic fee and a 75$ building permit fee for moving the house. I am really trying to think through the situation and get in front of any problems that might arise before the move. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Here is some extra info...

The house movers have assured me that this will go smoothly, as my farm is connected to the commercial property and they are only moving it 500 yards or so (no power lines etx). They say I should only have hairline cracks around the windows and doors that are easily fixed. I have called many other house movers and this seems to be the norm apparently, I would have thought there would be more damage. I am taking the Hvac and everything else of value as well. I am digging my own septic (which is allowed where we live) and am wanting to dig my own footers but am a bit weary of that, so I am still thinking that through. 

Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

Going to follow this thread. I may be having to move a house in the future, thankfully all gutted in the first place. But, really wanted to move it about six miles. maybe I could find a closer lot.

Worst a case I'll tear it down. Want the land more than the house.

Hey Caleb, Just wanted to say welcome to BP! I'm curious, is this a mobile home you are moving?

it's not, it's a stick traditional home on a raised foundation 

I have had houses moved onto lots and the results typically have turned out well without a hitch. On a 500 foot move i would say go for it. As to digging your own footings well they would not be that expensive anyway to pay others with more experience do it but it is your call. You should make out pretty good in any case so why sweat it?

@Gilbert Dominguez ,

I have a similar situation right happening right now.  I have a home that is very cheep that I can move.  I noted that you said that you have moved houses onto lots before.  If you would, please contact me and let me know your words of wisdom. 

Thanks in advance.

@Caleb Math

Hey Caleb, I am checking in to see how well the move went.  Look forward to hearing from you.

@Glenn D.

Did you get the info you were looking for?
I have move a lot of houses and have set several and flipped them. If you have any questions about the process feel free to ask

@Tim Olsen

I did not get much in the way of reliable information.  I am an intermediate investors and have done a wide spectrum of residential investing but I have never moved a home.  I would love to get some of your insight so let me shoot out a couple questions to start the conversation.

1. How many moves have you done?
  2. Was all the work - moving company, new foundation, electrical, plumbing, permits worth all it (ROI).
  3. What are some things to keep in mind? (i.e. cost, factors, expertise etc.)

Thanks for replying.

@Glenn D.

I have been moving houses since I was a kid. I started running the company about 14 years ago. Since then I probably moved around 15-20 homes/garages/buildings for the four or five years. After that I stopped doing it as a "commercial" house mover and now only will move homes for myself, friends or returning customers.
For me, my moving costs are very low. Even still I have to really evaluate what I am getting with each house. Like is the wiring up to date or am I going to have to remodel the house once I set it. If it requires a lot of work then you are just paying someone to move an old pile of sticks. Some of the counties are very easy to work with and will allow us to put it on a foundation and "hook it back up" I guess they figure it is just as good as it ever was. It is just in a new spot. Others want us to bring it up to the new code as far as wiring heating plumbing insulation windows.
There are other costs associated with the move like power and cable lines that need to be moved. Most utility companies will give you a bid ahead of time.
Hope this helps.

@Tim Olsen

That sounds great I wish you were in my neck of the woods - lol.  I have 3 homes that need possible moving and have seen plenty of others.  Your point is very valid that depending on the requirements your just paying someone to move an old pile of sticks.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here