What'll be the next Shag carpet or wood panel walls?

28 Replies

I'm remodelling my 1965 home that has the oh so popular wood wall paneling instead of sheet rock interior walls. I have seen plenty of hones with beautiful hardwood floors that were covered with carpeting as well. While I'm remodelling, I try to stay away from anything that is 'in' or newly popular that I think will eventually be unpopular again.

What do you all see that is ultra popular now thay will eventually be seen as just awful?

I think farm style sinks will be one that are big right now and will stick out as a dead giveaway that your kitchen was remodeled in the 2010's.

Horizontal glass tile kitchen backsplash...ya know, the ones with the 2-3 colors that come in 1'x1' sheets

Agreed on those terrible backsplashes. Also, add to that brown, spackled granite countertops.
I think stainless steel appliances and granite will run their course. Stainless steel is very hard to keep clean. It looks too sterile. And most granite stone is just hideous, so busy and distracting. When that happens the person who discovers a productive use for the millions of pounds of granite that will be thrown away will become very wealthy. I agree with the loud back splashes mentioned above. I am also not a fan of fake looking things like laminate, or even the wood looking ceramic tile.

Yup, the little glass block tiles in the shower and as kitchen backsplash, subway tile is in its third or forth go round, and I think the Urban industrial look will be the "Oh that is so 2015"

Granite will NOT run it's course.

1) For sure the tiled mosaic back splashes.

2) The vessel sinks on top of vanities.

3). Pendant lighting

I definitely think granite will run its course-- especially the swirly busy slabs. It's already getting passé in Memphis in high end flips, and thus the reason we have moved on to Quartz.  People seem to love the Quartz look and the fact there is zero maintenance. In Memphis, we are a year or two behind in design compared to markets like California or NYC so if things are changing here on the high end, it will start dwindling down to the mid to low end across the country. 

I don't see granite running its course any time soon - its very durable and low maintenance.

Agreed with glass mosaic wall tile for backsplashes.

Subway tile continues to be popular for how many years now? I don't think that is a fad.

What about the open concept floor plan, open kitchen? I could see that going away. There was good reason to have a formal dining room at one time... Who knows?

I could see stainless appliances going out of style.

Open shelving is another thing that I think will fade really quickly. It's all the rage now but once people have it and have to keep dishes and glasses and shelving dusted, I predict it will quickly become a thing of the past. ..... Especially for me -- as I am lazy!!!!

oh how about exposed brick walls?

Agree on the vessel sinks.  

I'd also add laminate flooring.  

Once you see it on an end cap at Costco... the party is over.  My short list of things that I think are on the way out:

Laminate

Glass block backsplash

Vessel sinks

Desk spaces built into kitchens

herringbone wall paper

microwave over the range

Faux Tuscan or Moroccan stuff (has been out for awhile but you still see it)

Even though I still like them I think farm house sinks will go out of style.  Also, stacked stone fireplaces.

Barn doors...they seem to used in every episode on HGTV.  A few years from now, they'll look clunky.

Also, distressed wood and the accent walls that are horizontally paneled with wood. I keep seeing those on hgtv too! 

Originally posted by @Dawn Rodgers :

Barn doors...they seem to used in every episode on HGTV.  A few years from now, they'll look clunky.

I think we can safely say anything seen often on HGTV will be out of style before long.

Originally posted by @Joe Bertolino :

Once you see it on an end cap at Costco... the party is over.  My short list of things that I think are on the way out:

Laminate

Glass block backsplash

Vessel sinks

Desk spaces built into kitchens

herringbone wall paper

microwave over the range

Faux Tuscan or Moroccan stuff (has been out for awhile but you still see it)

I can only hope laminate goes away, but I don't see it as a choice of style so much as a choice of cost. It still blows my mind that people will put laminate counters on top of wood cabinets.

Farm sinks have been around forever and are standard in high end homes.

Originally posted by @Eric Bauman :

Farm sinks have been around forever and are standard in high end homes.

They have recently made a resurgence and sink manufactures have begun making new sinks that look like a farm sink but really just have the front and top and they sit in the cabinet, instead of on top of a shorter one. Saying they are 'standard' is a gross exaggeration still. Maybe in you area they are, but it is still a part of a style. They have become very popular in mid class home remodels from what I have seen, and I have had to use them more and more in commercial projects as well.

1) laminate floors that sound like you are walking with tap dance shoes on

2) vessel sinks

3) anything that is painted "faux" style

4) open floor plans (although I think this is still 2-3 decades away from becoming an undesirable floor plan) 

I have wondered for years what will replace SS appliances. I don't know the answer.

laminate has been popular for two decades brcause it is clean and tough, just look for laminate that passes for wood it looks so good

Glass is natural, beautiful, eay to clean and reflective...and will be used in different sizes, colors, shapes and paired with other materials for some time to come

Granite or any stone is classic...but as tastes change the preference for colors of granite will change...and yes it will take a backseat to other fresher ideas in countertops

Wood ceramic tile will probably last like travertine porcelain tile because they imitate nature...but as tastes change the underlying hues change...goldenish tones giving way to grayish, 

I think "looks" will date a decor more than individual choices.  Tuscan may be dated but distressed can be timeless.

Anything done well and in good taste might be able to stand the test of time...lots of vintage bathrooms are prized by their new owners.

i do agree vessle sinks might be the shag carpet, and pebble shower floors but I like them  

I think central heat/air could go out of style if ductless heat pumps become cheaper and easier to install or if window/portable heat pumps become cheaper, more compact/sleek, or more efficient.

If the phone sales reps are to be believed, the Ikea Double Bowl farm Domsjo (I could be wrong on this spelling) sink is the #1 sink for them in sales.  Every house we have put them in the buyers swoon over them.   Farm house sinks are staying strong for some time to come

Stainless steel has been here too long to not be called classic style.

Grandma's wall paper header - the new 1980's look

basic glass backsplash or stripe in the shower - please label 2010's

clear Vessel sinks - where is the sledge hammer? Sorry just not a fan

and I do have to agree with @Marian Smith on her run down that it is the "look" the will really determine if a property will be able to become timeless.  I know here in Hill country many are properties stuck in the 80's and the owners think it is a good thing....

I think laminate floors are here to stay, at least in lower price range homes.   I bought my first house in 1989 and installed Pergo floors. That's 26 years and laminate is still going strong. It's cheap and easy to install. It doesn't really have a strong competitor for the price. 

Agree on these trendy glass backsplashes. Fortunately, they are pretty cheap to replace since they don't cover a lot of wall. 

I think stainless appliances are also here to stay. They have been popular for 20 years now, and are still the number one choice.

How about grass lawns?  More and more in urban areas I'm seeing xeriscaping, and less grass.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.