Floor Plan for Rehab

11 Replies

Should I create floor plans for rehab property?

Originally posted by @J Scott:

Do you need them for permits, for contractors or for your own benefit?  If so, then yes.  If not, then no. 

Helo,

Any good recommendations for software to efficiently accomplish that? I see quite a few options for builders at the annual NAHB IBS show but am wondering if there is any cost effective solutions?

If we are changing the floor plan or layout of a house in any way, we always generate a floor plan... even it is simple, like "Move the toilet from here to here", we generate a floor plan. 

Trying to visualize space changes without a floor plan is risky business and has unintended consequences. Not to mention a floor plan protects both the contractor and the owner from unclear communication.

There really aren't any great, cheap solutions for this. We use Chief Architect, but we also have 2 employees who run chief like total bosses.

Thanks, great advise. I have the same thoughts. I want to stay professional from the beginning of business to the completion...  What floor plan software do you use or how do I get a floor plan created??? 

John

I am just starting out and don't want to spend a lot of money currently. I will move to hiring someone to do floor plans for projects. So, can anyone recommend a good DIY floor plan software?

You can try sketchup from Google. The free version is more than adequate for you purposes, it is very intuitive to use, and has a lot of tutorials on line built in. If you have a basic technical ability, within a few hours of practice you should be proficient enough to draw simple floor plans, including dimensions and instructions.

Good luck.

As an architect I am biased, but I think you should have some sort of plans drawn if you are doing much in the way of moving doors and walls. It just keeps everyone on the same page. If the work you are doing is minor then I would recommend using this high tech stuff called graph paper and a pencil. If you are doing major work I would check with a local contractor to see who draws for them.

A great free floor plan tool I use is an App called MagicPlan. Very easy to use and learn. You can draw each wall manually or simply take pictures with your phone or tablet of each corner and it will draw the walls automatically. I was able to draw up a 6,000 sq ft campus in about 4 hours by myself. 

I'm big on floorplans. In the past I've drawn them by hand on oversized graph paper. Time consuming yes, but when I began, seeing my houses from that angle helped me improve floorplanning. They also greatly help the subs in the house. If a plumber calls and asks exactly where I want the toilet, "flooplan is taped to the wall." I recently purchased a software program for it. Easier to read and I can create 3-D renditions for pre-marketing and conveying the designs to my subs. 

I am an architect and also biased like Jarod. I use a program called Revit, but that's out of price range for most of the "do-it-yourselfers" ($2,000/year). Yes you could draw it out by hand, but like everyone has already said, that is very time consuming. What I am wondering is what is the break-even point to where it becomes worth it to outsource the floor plan work for say $100? If it takes you 2 hours to draw it up, and then do 2 renditions of the plan, when does it make more sense to outsource to a consultant? Please tag me in the response, I'm curious what you guys would think about that.