• Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Exposed Duct Work

Julia Blythe
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Posted Sep 13 2015, 16:24

Has anyone done exposed duct work in a SFH or condo? We are debating doing it in an 80 yr old SFH that we are taking down to the studs and giving it a very modern aesthetic. My GC has never done them but said he HAS HEARD that exposed duct work has two problems:

1) Exposed duct work has a tendency to develop condensation on the outside.  I don't understand that because if it were the case, wouldn't the ducts develop condensation inside walls as well, developing mold?

2) The actual duct work used when exposed is much more expensive than the ducts you put in the walls.  My question is, how much more?  Adding extra walls or portions of walls would add to the cost of encasing them.  I'm just wondering net, net, where the cost would be.

Although I truly love our GC, he has a tendency to make excuses when things get out of his comfort zone or with things he has never done before.

Does anyone have any experience or input on exposed duct work?  Below is a picture of how we are considering doing it.

Loading replies...