Estimated cost of 9x9 asbestos tile removal

6 Replies

Is it not legal to remove it yourself, DIY?

I've read that as long as you aren't sanding on it or scraping it then it isn't too big of a deal. In my one rental that had concern about the possibility of asbestos tile (judged purely on the likely age of the tile) we just put new flooring over the top of it. I read a lot about it because I did not want to risk tenants health and everything said the best idea is to just leave it be if possible but that removal was generally not considered a big risk. 

Originally posted by @John Lindemann :

Is it not legal to remove it yourself, DIY?

I've read that as long as you aren't sanding on it or scraping it then it isn't too big of a deal. In my one rental that had concern about the possibility of asbestos tile (judged purely on the likely age of the tile) we just put new flooring over the top of it. I read a lot about it because I did not want to risk tenants health and everything said the best idea is to just leave it be if possible but that removal was generally not considered a big risk. 

It's already partially ripped up...which is what worries me. If this wasn't the case, I would probably just lay a new floor over it as well. I have to look into the legality of DIY, but to be honest, I'm not sure I want any part of that.

Hey James,

Not an expert or legal scholar by any means but my 2 cents.

If I "Knew for fact" it was Asbestos (Provable in court that I knew it was) I would contact a high end company specializing in removal and get their huge bid to have it removed.

If I "Thought it may be" or "based on age could be" then to me it is just old ugly tile to be removed and replaced. I would grab a standard contractor to rip it out and replace the floor. They "know how it works" and to them it's just a floor replacement job. Would put it at the price of a floor rip and remove. Once you specifically mention Asbestos to them you put them in a different place legally as well. In my experience it is the elephant in the room no one discusses when figuring contract bids and it just gets done.

Good luck from Hamlin

Last time I checked. if the home owner can remove the tiles in one day it is NOT an abatement issue but a DISPOSAL issue. You need to get bags that are tagged for hazardous debris. Again been a while but it used to be about $50 per 1000# of tile.. I would also agree with John above that if you can get some VCT and fill in the holes you'd be better off as long as the old tiles are firmly adhered. Any floating system would work.