RE Broker's license? Or not?

RE Broker's license? Or not?

Real Estate Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 16 votes

I'm currently flip for retail in Oregon. Will acquiring my Real Estate Broker's license affect me in any negative ways? I understand that I'll have to disclose the fact that I'm licensed but somebody was telling me that it could also affect my ability to "low ball" people. Thanks!

0Reply
25 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 112 votes
    10y

    @Matt Good You have to disclose that you are a broker whether selling or buying, but as far as you making low offers on properties it shouldn't affect you. You may get a reputation amongst your local brokers as the guy who makes low offers, but if you are using another broker to do that currently then you already are that guy.  If you are concerned about how people view you if you are putting in low offers then that is an issue you are going to have live with if that is your business. Just my opinion though

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Stuart Birdsong that's GREAT news so far! No I'm not that guy but my friend certainly is. I just like to know all of the pros and cons before I jump into anything. Thanks!

  • Investor in the making · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 201 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Your question hits home with me. Other than the cost of the RE course, and the $400 to get licensed, you are then faced with another $1500 and $50/ mo for your realtor board dues, mls, and supra key. If you are looking to make a living as an agent, or as an established flipper... then it may be worth the additional expenses. Also, you are obligated to "hang" the license with a broker. If you are just looking for access to the MLS (like myself), then I'm not sure it's worth the cost and the trouble.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Orlando Paz I completely understand. My Wife almost has her license and the plan is that she would provide me with the tools for flipping just like you said but I'm looking for extra income too so I said why not? I'm a pretty active guy! Haha the fees sure add up quick for sure

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    10y

    if you get licensed, remember you are now living in the world of realtor ethics! no more telling listing agents to go kick rocks when they reject your offer! haha! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Justin Stamper please expand I'm a little naive

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    10y

    @Matt Good I was just making a joke.

    ...but if you do get licensed you have to abide by the Realtor Code of Ethics and if you are mean to another realtor they can report you for it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Ohh haha gotcha!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.