First Flip Under Contract- Made About $11k
Hello Everyone and Happy New year!
I am a young investor with a couple of buy and hold deals under my belt and just completed and sold my first rehab deal in Rhode Island. I made much, much less money than I had anticipated. I had planned on making around 30 and ended up with about 11 in profit. I learned some very important lessons. The most important being:
-Make sure you have a GREAT realtor. I feel the realtor I was working with purposefully overstated the ARV and almost as soon as I re-listed he began beating me up on the price constantly. Plan so that even if you sell at the lower end of your comps you still make money!!!
-Rehabs always take longer than you expect, remember that in your holding cost analysis.
-Don't list the house until everything is finished and the house is totally cleaned out of all your crap.
-Pay close attention to detail on your finishes, my painter left some areas on the trim too thin so that the old wood bled through a little- big detractor from finished look of the house.
Maybe these tips will help someone a little. I have the house under contract and even made a little money. I also have a 3 family under contract in Providence that I rehabbed in 2013 with my father. Wasn't planning on selling it but we could use the money to grow our business and have quite a bit of equity in it. I will be looking for another rehab in the Boston area to start 2016 on a good note. Look forward to networking and possibly working with some of you.
Mike

